Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Becca Schwier Interview







Becca Schwier is a current Bikini and future Figure competitor. I just got to know her and in a short time am very impressed. This beautiful woman has more drive and desire than most I have met. Some people you can say "i think she will be a success", but with Becca it is "I know she will be a success". In just her first show she took second place and that is just the beginning. She will continue to improve and be a name you hear a lot more of.

Q: Becca I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. It is much appreciated.
A: =)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am from Cincinnati, Ohio! I am very fortunate to have an amazing family who although sometimes doesn't understand it, they support me. I am in school for nursing (taking a little longer than expected to finish! =] ) and I cant wait to have my degree!

Q: Have you always been an athletic person, play any spots or anything?
A: In high school I was a cheerleader and ran track. I have always been athletic and in May of 2009 I ran and completed my first marathon! Not only did I finish the race; but I ran 31 miles instead of the 26.2! I-pods are a great invention; but it made me miss the turn off from the half marathon! I saw a sign at 12 miles that said one more mile to go; stopped and asked a few officials, and began running the opposite way to get back on track!

Q: What led you to get into the gym?
A: I was struggling in my life and I was headed down a bad path. My Mom passed away when I was 16 from brain cancer and I felt as if the world owed me something. One day, I walked into a nearby bodybuilding gym and started to train twice a week with my trainer. The day I started training happened to be the 3rd anniversary of my Mothers death and from that day on I knew I found something special.

Q: Some people may not realize it but to compete in bikini does require a lot of working out. Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Oh my gosh yes! I never weight trained much until I began training with Jim, but I fell in love instantly. I love to do cardio and would honestly look forward to it every day. The only thing that was hard during the training was that by the end I would spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the gym; 2 of those hours being cardio. I had to keep my moral high during those times and really leaned on the shoulders of those within the gym to help me keep them high!

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: My trainer! He kept telling me I should compete in Bikini. Being conservative, an image of girls gone wild popped in my head. I knew I had dreams of one day being a figure competitor and I decided to try it. I wanted to see if being on stage was something I would love! After much debate I decided to try it and realized it was much more than a Bikini Contest.To get out on that stage in front of people ready to pick you apart, it is a hard thing to do. Anyone willing to do it has my support and my respect 100 percent!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time? and how about now?
A: My family knows that with or without their support I will do it; but after some convincing they were on board. As I mentioned earlier, the biggest struggle for me was if my Mother was proud of me or embarrassed. But, after seeing the tears in my aunts, cousins, and my fathers eyes I knew the answer was yes, she is proud! I can say that since I am new to the industry (and young) my friends didn't understand it. But, the ones that knew how much I have worked for it were there and supported me! You find out who really cares about you when you do something out of the ordinary.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first competition was amazing! I took home second place out of twelve girls! I not only loved competing; but I loved just absorbing the whole fitness lifestyle! It was an emotional day and I can tell you I cried the entire way home. I am sure every single person can tell you that when you put your heart and soul into something and you end up short it hurts. But, it made me hungry for more!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: - Monster Mash (Cincinnati, Ohio) Oct 31, 2009 Second place
- Kentucky Muscle (Louisville, Ky) Nov 14, 2009 Sixth place

Q: Now you are planning to move to Figure. Why are you moving towards that?
A: My heart is set on figure! When I stepped on stage as bikini I knew I had a higher goal for myself. Bikini is such a new division in the NPC and it is very back and forth. They are not sure what they are looking for and that gets frustrating! I believe I have the ability to do great things in figure and I truly believe that is where I belong on stage! However, I am still a petite girl and I have a lot to do before I step on stage as a figure competitor. I have given myself a two year run until my next show. I do not want to get on stage until I know I can run (or pose!) with the best! But, I think I am going to keep on doing some more Bikini shows just to get the dieting down and getting comfortable on stage!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is you best asset?
A: I have always had great legs! Since day one my trainer told me that I had the legs of a figure girl. I am lucky that they are not too skinny, and not too thick! Just right!

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training my shoulders! I love to train shoulders because they are my weakest point; need to get them rounder/bigger! So, every day I go to train them; I BLAST THEM! Every week I see the difference and it makes my excitement so much stronger! One of my favorite exercises would have to be walking lunges!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My diet now is very high in protein and low carbs. I tend to stick with eggs, chicken, brown rice, broccoli, beef, and cottage cheese. My trainer also owns a food line called Fit Body Gourmetfor those in this industry. Made with buffalo meat and extremely high in protein so I eat those meals a lot too! MMMMM! Show prep- Eggs, asparagus, and Tilapia. So clean. My training routine now is very intense; pyramid style with heavy weight and minimal cardio. Show prep- A lot (2 hours a day) of cardio and training to maintain the muscle.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the one question or comment you are sick of hearing?
A: "WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?" One thing I tell people; being fit, in shape, and healthy is not a secret. It is not a fad. It is a LIFESTYLE. I have no secrets. I bust my butt in the gym day in and day out, and I eat exactly how I am supposed too. You get the results of the work you put in, there is no magical pill.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who compete?
A: A lot of people thought that it was a degrading thing I was doing. They would say So you are on stage in a bikini?And belittle my work and progress. But, once they saw the pictures; they got it. It isn't a degrading and negative thing. We didn't walk off the street and put on these outfits to please the male population. We have spent hours, weeks, months, and even years training for these shows! IT IS HARD WORK! I cant even comprehend anyone making jokes, laughing, or being negative to anyone that steps on those stages. It takes a STRONG, CONFIDENT, BEAUTIFUL WOMAN to compete.

Q: Do you think women who compete in bikini are getting the respect of people who compete in other parts of the fitness industry?
A: Absolutely not. My trainer had me (bikini) and another girl (bodybuilder) in the same show. I asked my trainer one day why she was always so rude and negative towards me and he said She doesn't think you deserve to be on the same stage as her.WHAT! He stood up for me and said that he has not seen someone with my heart, dedication, and drive since he trained a girl who turned IFBB FIGURE PRO under him. Just because we do not have the muscle mass, does not mean we do not work hard. We deserve the respect that you would give anyone else in the fitness industry!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I am new to this industry and I do search figure girls everyday. However, I am my own self and I am only in competition with myself. I don't ever look at a competitor and wish that I will look like her; because if I end up looking different I don't want to be upset. We are all different but I do respect every person in this industry. I do admire my trainer, Jim "Gymbo" Collins. He is one of the best natural lifetime bodybuilders in the country, and I love what he stands for. He pushes me to the limit and I know he will take me far!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: I love almost everything about it. I try to look at every situation as a positive and smile along my journey. If I had to choose the one thing that I love the most was meeting the amazing people that I have met so far! Most of the people are so uplifting and positive; how couldn't you love it! If I had to choose one thing that I do not like; giving up my diet coke! =)

Q: DO you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I think every bodybuilder, figure girl, and bikini girl from Cincinnati will agree¦SKYLINE CHILI!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start competing, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Do it! But set realistic goals for yourself so you do not discourage yourself. Stay positive and surround yourself with people that will be a positive influence on you! It takes a lot of hard work and a very strong person mentally to compete. But, if it is something you want to do in your heart; GO FOR THE GOLD!

Q: Obviously you are very beautiful. Is modeling something that interests you, and how can a photographer contact you if he wanted to shoot you?
A: I have never thought of myself as a model. As I progress if someone wants to shoot me for a fitness magazine or whatever, AWESOME! I am not actively searching to be a model though but always open for the idea! My email is bbu8907@yahoo.com or contact me via facebook; Becca Schwier, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love being involved in charities. I have a giant heart and I just love spreading my happiness. I love helping others in any way that I can. I enjoy shoe shopping, spending time with the ones that mean the most, laughing, attending church, running for charities, and my dog Roxie!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Becca Schwier?
A: Wake up. Run Errands. Work. Train. My day, almost everyday!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Oh wow. I would have to say that a secret I am just starting to reveal is that I have a disease called Lupus. Lupus is an Auto Immune disease where my body attacks my own good cells. Very little is known about Lupus and people do die daily from the disease. Although I am advised to live a healthy lifestyle; I am not to push myself to hard or get stressed. However, in this industry you push yourself everyday and it is hard to balance my health sometimes. This disease is known as having Flare ups and when one is coming on I have to really concentrate on keeping myself healthy. I have been hospitalized because of complications of my disease but it wont stop me. I currently am going through a stage where my hair is falling out in spots; but hey..It will grow back! =) My mother passed away at the age of 42 (she also had lupus; but passed of cancer) and I will be damned if I am on my death bed at a young age regretting not chasing my dream, my passion because I am scared of the outcome. LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?

A: Actor; Steve Martin.
Movie; Iron Jaw Angels or Million Dollar Baby
T.V. Show; Gossip Girl
Musician; don't really have one.

Q: Describe Becca Schwier in five words?
A: Loving, Spiritual, Kind, Funny, Inspiring.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: No set plans. Just working on getting bigger and doing as much research on this industry as possible! I am also planning on running a few half marathons! =)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Gymbos Personal Training and Fitness Center http://www.gymbosnutrigo.com My trainers Gym where I train.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they contact you and what are they getting in Becca Schwier the athlete and competitor?
A: I am new to this industry so I will take all the help and support I can get! =) I can say that I am one hundred percent dedicated to my training and I have a real passion for this sport. I put my heart and soul into my training and I will succeed! Contact is bbu8907@yahoo.com or facebook; Becca Schwier Cincinnati, Ohio

Q: Becca, again I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: "If you want something bad enough; you put your heart, soul, blood, and sweat into it. Have I thought about giving up? Absolutely. But once that moment of insanity passes; I am more determined to make it." A quote I made up and it gives me inspiration when I am down. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment