Sunday, February 28, 2010

Laura Marenco Interview



Want to know what dedications is? Dedication is doing a show and finishing 4th place, then having a baby and gaining 50lbs, then coming back to do the same show and finishing 1st place. That is what Laura Marenco did. Laura has a love for fitness and it comes across in her being a personal trainer, her wanting to help others achieve their fitness goals, her own competing, and her own hard work. Laura is a beautiful woman who we will hopefully soon be seeing doing fitness modeling work. The idea of a fitness model is to be fit, beautiful, and energetic, and Laura is all of these things and more. Laura is someone I have gotten to know and am so impressed and inspired by, and I know you will be too.





Q: First, Laura, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am originally from El Salvador, I moved to the U.S. with my parents when I was a teenager. I am currently married (4 years now) and have a beautiful 19 month old son named Diego. Current city of residence is Carmel, Indiana.

Q: Before you started training, were you an athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I wasn't into sports growing up. I actually didn't get into the weight room in college. I was always on/off in shape. It wasn't until 2007 that I decided to enter my first NPC Figure competition, that I got really serious about fitness.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I got tired of being "chubby". I am one of those unfortunate individuals who tend to get fat quick if I don't watch my diet closely and quit working out.

A: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes actually, I never really had a trainer. I just learned through trial and error. I worked at a gym in my early twenties and I would get suggestions from co-workers and friends. But I loved lifting weights and getting a pump! I was able to get some good muscle about 10 years ago, but I wasn't able to lean down until I got ready to compete in 2007.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: That was one of the goals I had set for myself ever since I saw competitors onstage in 1998. I just knew that once I had a stable job and a stable relationship, I would be able to focus on my training and diet as necessary, so I did the first chance I had.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Yes, my husband has always been supportive of all the decisions I make. He continues to be this way to this day.


Q: Was the first contest what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: I wasn't really sure what to expect. I actually was overconfident at the time because I had never seen myself so lean before, but once I got to the day of competition I was blown away bu other competitors level of muscularity and leanness, so I now know better! LOL

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
* 2007 NPC Indianapolis Championships- 4th place
* 2009 NPC Indianapolis Championships- 1st place


Q: What do you consider your best body part, or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: My shoulders and arms, they tend to stay pretty lean, even off season.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: Really like training abs, they seem to respond fairly quickly, as well as arms.

Q: When someone sees your figure for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I think I get mixed reactions a lot. Sometimes people seem to not know how to react, maybe because of where they find themselves fitness wise at that point in time. The less fit someone is, the more they seem to have a negative opinion.... I think sometimes it might be jealousy. But I try to make sure they know that I had to work really hard in order to achieve my level of fitness. That seems to work.LOL

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "do you get to eat???" I hate that comment! Especially around 4 to 6 weeks out from competing. I always tell them I eat all day! Which is the truth! HAHA

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Off season I try to eat clean 80% of the time and continue to work out at least 5 times a week, limiting my cardio to no ore than 30 minutes a session. During on season, I clean up my diet by allowing one or two cheat meals throughout the week, hit the gym 6 times a week, cardio 5 times a week. The closer I am to competing, the more cardio I try to get in. But I hate it! LOL


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part is the journey, how psyched I get about visualizing myself up on stage, getting the 1st place trophy, seeing how lean my body becomes every week and how I can see nice definition in my muscles. The bad part is post-competition week, I overeat!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza :-)

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Gina Aliotti is one of my favorites. She has accomplished so much at such a young age.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To be persistent and learn how to use visualization as a tool to achieve her goals.

Q: Now, you are also a Certified Personal Trainer, as well as teach Zumba and Group Fitness. What got you interested in training others?
A: I love training people! It gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I know that I can help someone change their lives by guiding them through a process I have been through so many times. I love to be able to bring out someones hidden potential and encourage them to never give up on their goals in any aspect of their lives.

Q: What is the biggest mistake you see people new to training make?
A: Bad form when lifting at the gym, and lack of consistency..... also, they think that by working out they will see results tomorrow and in the meantime they don't acknowledge that they are lacking the nutrition aspect.


Q: What are the benefits of being trained by Laura Marenco?
A: I give great attention to detail! Form is my biggest concern when I am training clients. I always make sure that they are using correct form at all times so that they can get the most out of their workout, efforts, money, and time! Plus, avoid any potential injuries. I also like to instruct clients with proper nutrition, necessary to achieve their fitness goals.

Q: If anyone wanted to find out more about your training or contact you about how, how can the do that?
A: They can visit my website at www.lauramarencofitness.com or simply send me an email at marencolm@yahoo.com

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like to play guitar and write and perform my own songs. I haven't been on stage for a while, but I continue to write and play at home. I also enjoy looking for healthy recipes and spending time with my son and family.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I was kind of chubby growing up! LOL

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Love Daniel Craig! I love comedies and action. Austin Powers is one of my favorite movies as well as Forgetting Sarah Marshall to name a few. My favorite musician is Chris Cornell without a doubt!

Q: Describe Laura Marenco in five words.
A: Giving, hard Worker, Dreamer, Positive, and Disciplined.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes! I will compete at the Northern Kentucky this coming March. I am also working on a modeling portfolio, I would like to get into fitness modeling. I think it will happen! As well as getting first place in my class! :-)

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: If you live in the Indianapolis area and want to get in the best shape of your life, call em! Whether you want to compete, lose the baby weight, or simply live a healthier life, I am your trainer!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Laura Marenco the athlete and competitor?
A: I would like to share my story. I had my son in June 2008, I gained 50lbs with the pregnancy, came home after a c-section and the scale was still at 180lbs. As soon as I was able to start working out I got into it 100% and was able to lose 40lbs in 46 weeks. The following June (2009) I was again on stage, but this time I placed 1st in my class!!! I achieved this by great discipline, support from my family, and an array of different supplements I utilized in order to reach my goal. I am the perfect before/after picture of I LOST THE BABY WEIGHT! LOL. Some of these products are Redline, Princess and Meltdown by VPX, Lean Dessert Protein by BSN, Turbo Diet by ON, Muscle Milk Light by Cytosport, Hydroxycut Hardcore by Muscletech, Vitamins and herbs from GNC to name a few. I would love to get some work at the upcoming Arnold or any other big events, as well as some print work! :-)

Q: Laura, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Believe in yourself and follow your dreams! Don't allow those around you to bring you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment