Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kerry Vera Interview





If you are an MMA fan, you have heard of Brandon Vera. If you are a friend of mine, you know he is one of my favorite fighters. But he isn't the only Vera who can fight, and he isn't the only Vera who is one of my favorites. Kerry Vera is making a name for herself, and her televised win over Kim Couture was her introduction to a lot of fans. In that fight you got to see her great striking, but she is a very well-rounded fighter. Wherever a fight ends up Kerry is capable of being in control of it. As women's MMA become more and more popular, so will Kerry Vera, because she is THAT GOOD, she is THAT ENTERTAINING, and she is THAT EASY TO ROOT FOR. There are a lot of talented female fighters out there, and Kerry Vera belongs right in there with them.




Q:First Kerry, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I am a big fan and this is an honor.

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, where you train, things like that.
A: I grew up in Cupertino, CA but now live in San Diego CA. I train at Alliance Training Center with an amazing team but started at American Kickboxing academy which is also a great team and gym!

Q: Before getting into MMA, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I took Karate starting at age 6 then did boxing and kickboxing starting at around 16 which led me to MMA. I was always kind of a tomboy growing up so I guess that's what started the karate then I just fell in love with it!

Q: What made you decide to start training to fight?
A: It was exciting to train for something and still is. I like the challenge of getting ready for a fight. Its definitely not easy.

Q: Obviously you are not the only fighter in your family, but was fighting something you family and friends supported you getting into?
A: Yes my family and friends are very supportive of anything I do!


Q: What is more nerve racking for you, your own fights or watching Brandon?
A: Definitely watching Brandon fight. I have no control over his fights like I do my own.

Q: You made your debut if I remember correctly in July 2006 vs Alicia Gonzalez. What do you remember about that fight. Were you nervous, excited, scared?
A: lol... I don't remember. I'm usually more excited than scared though.

Q: Probably your most high profile fight was the victory over Kim Couture for Strikeforce in November 2009. What did that fight mean to you being on a televised Strikeforce show?
A: It meant that its one more step in the right direction. I still have a lot to do and a long latter to climb in this sport.

Q: What is your record so far, and which fight means the most to you?
A: 2-0 mma. They all mean a lot!

Q: What do you think of as your biggest strength and the one aspect you still are trying to work on?
A: I am trying to be well rounded everywhere so I have been working on everything, learning and getting better in all areas.

Q: As a female in the sport, what did it mean for you to have Gina and Cyborg main event a televised major show?
A: I thought it was a huge thing for women's MMA. They have both done a lot for female fighters and I am grateful to them for that.

Q: Do you think women are getting more respect in the sport from fans?
A: Yes I think women's MMA is growing bigger and bigger and though there is still doubt more fans are coming.

Q: Usually you watch a show, and like the fight vs Couture, the women usually have the most exciting fight of the night. Why do you think that is?
A: I don't know but it does usually seem to be that way. Maybe we don't hold back as much!

Q: Do you prefer the five minute rounds?
A: Yes, 3 min goes by too fast.

Q: Take yourself out of it, pound for pound, who are the top 5 women in the sport right now?
A: I don't know, there are so many that I haven't yet researched.

Q: Do you ever see the day when in the U.S. there is a major Strikeforce or UFC type company for women only?
A: I think Fatal Femmes is already out there that is all women. But yes it is getting bigger so someday.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training and fighting?
A: I love it all, even the bad days. It is so worth it in the end.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who fight?
A: That we all have some underlying problem. Why cant a girl just enjoy fighting?

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training to fight, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To start competing in everything she can, smokers, tournaments, in boxing, kickboxing and jiu jitsu.. anything.

Q: What is the reason you and Brandon don't work each other's corner's and prefer to sit and watch?
A: We learned early on that it works better to separate our home life and work life.

Q: Do you have any favorite fighters to watch?
A: Anderson Silva :)

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A; Anything outdoors. We have 5 dogs so they keep us very busy.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kerry Vera.
A: A typical day is training 2-3 times and sleeping or watching movies in between. On the weekends I like to hang out at home and play with the dogs, that's about it.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am a vegetarian.

Q; Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: I don't really have a favorite actor but movies right now would be Avatar and Twilight sagas, TV I love Dexter, Weeds, and Nip Tuck.

Q: Describe Kerry Vera in five words.
A: Hmmmmm, I've never been able to do this!

Q; Any set plans for 2010 as far as fights lined up or anything else?
A; I'm hoping to fight soon, just waiting for the call.

Q: Any sponsors or anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Still working on that, thank you!

Q: Are you looking for more sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Kerry Vera the fighter and athlete?
A: Of course always looking for sponsors, they can email me at kvera15@gmail.com, what are they getting? They are getting endless possibilities!

Q: Kerry, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Nope, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment