Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Competitors Edge by Vanessa Prebyl

A Weekly Blog BY Nationally Ranked Bikini Competitor Vanessa Prebyl

Hello to my readers!!! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!! This week's blog will be devoted to building stronger and bigger shoulders.

I have currently implemented a shoulder workout into my weighted workouts so that I can build up my side and rear delts before my next show. I now have one day completely devoted to building my shoulders as well as two upper body days, which hit my shoulders as well.

First of all, remember that the shoulders are made up of three separate muscle which are: Front part of your shoulder (Anterior deltoid), the middle/top of your shoulder (medial deltoid), and the rear of your shoulder (posterior deltoid). With that being said, it is very important to isolate each of the three muscles to keep your muscle balance. However, if you do have a lagging shoulder muscle I would consider using Weider's priority principle and working that muscle in a particular more than once a week in order to obtain the proper balance in your shoulders.

I do a warm up set using light weight then I do 3 working sets and 1 burn-out set.

1. Warm up: Using light weight, I warm up all 3 muscles in the shoulders.
2. Because I am trying to build muscle, I am lifting as heavy as I can, without breaking my form, for 3 sets of 10-15 reps of the following movements:
A. Standing side lateral raises: This works the medial delt and adds to the width of the shoulder span which will add to your V-taper and add a nice cap to the shoulder.
B. Bent over side lateral raises: This movement will focus on the rear delt. Remember when doing this movement, tilt your hands as if you were pouring a glass of water with a pitcher. You should have your pinkies leading and your thumbs slightly lower than your pinkie.
C. Seated barbell press: This adds to the all over mass of the shoulder and will work the front of your shoulders if you lower the bar in front of your head instead of behind.
3. Upon finishing my last set, I work in a FST-7 style of training to finish off my shoulders and I pick bent over seated dumbell laterals. This type of training really fores more blood to the muscle and will exhaust the shoulder completely. I choose a rear delt exercise due to my OWN need to build my rear delt. You may choose any execersie you feel will be best for you.

Furthermore, when building muscle, focuse on the muscle you are trying to grow and really make sure you are feeling that muscle work. Squeeze that muscle and hold that squeeze briefly and as controlled as possible. I really like the burning feeling when I squeeze because I know my msucle is growing :-)

**Remember** only lift as heavy as you are able to with keeping proper form. Form is KEY for building muscles and warding off injury.

I hope this information helps you. If you have any questions please psot a comment to this blog or feel free to email me at vanessaprebyl2000@yahoomail.com.

Quote of the Week:

"The size of your success is measured by teh strength of your desire; the size of your deam; and how you handle dissapointment along the way."

- Robert Kiyosaki


Much love to all,
-Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment