Monday, May 24, 2010

IFBB Pro Vicki Nixon Interview





She has not been on stage in awhile, but to me, Vicki Nixon is still an elite level bodybuilder. A veteran of over 40 competitions Vicki won her IFBB Pro card at the 2004 Team Universe, and it was very well deserved. On a personal note, I have so much respect for Vicki. Ever meet or get to talk to a person you admired or looked up to, and they turned out to be a jerk. Well in my case, Vicki exceeded my expectations. I always found Vicki to be a beautiful woman with an amazing physique. I have gotten to learn she is also a very sweet woman, who has often given me words of encouragement in my own goals. Since I started doing this I have met or talked so hundreds of competitors, some were below what I expected them to be, but most have been amazing, and Vicki is at the top of that list. After you read this interview be sure to go to www.vickinixon.com and order her DVD which has been getting rave reviews.







Q: First, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for interviewing me Jason!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Memphis TN in 1960and have since moved MANY times and now live in NJ with my hubby who will retire from the police dept in Oct this yr and we will move to our Florida where we bought a beautiful condo 7 yrs ago..we are Very excited about that!! My mom and dad live in Hilton Head SC as well as my little sister and her family, I have a younger brother Jason who lives in Goldsboro NC so in Oct we will ALL be much closer to one another!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Before I became a Bodybuilder in 1985 I toyed with a few things in school, softball and some track...but for the most part I was very shy and didn't stick with anything long.I was always active and quite the tomboy...climbing trees and riding my mini bike and playing kickball ect with the boys:)

Q; What initially led you into the gym, and what made you decide to compete?
A: In 1984 I was not at a good place as far as feeling good about myself, so I turned to the gym for something to dig my teeth into, I saw a magazine that a guy at the gym showed me with Racheal Mclish on it and the rest is History! I fell in Love with the weights and the way it changed my body, it gave me so much energy and confidence!! I saw Instant results! SO I wanted to show it off and compete!! After less than one yr I was on stage...from there I competed on a off till I became very ill with liver disease, but even as sick as I was I still made my way to the gym and did my best to keep my body strong ect..3 yrs later I was in remission and back on the stage where I won my IFBB Pro card in 2004 at the NPC Team Universe in NY! I did every Pro show for each yr after until 2007 when I had to retire due to many injuries and "other" issues.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My family and friends could not believe I was doing something that required so much time and discipline, but they sat back and watched me take off! Mom and Dad came to as many shows as they could as did my gym friends:)

Q: Was competing what you expected?
A: Competing was everything I expected and MUCH more! I had found confidence and happiness on stage...I couldn't get enough! The contest gave me more than physical attention, it gave me Mental strength as well in all aspects of my life.

Q: You have an extensive contest history, so instead of asking for the whole thing, any shows that are personal favorites?
One of my favorite shows out of the 40 something shows I did was the Team Universe...when I won my IFBB Pro card...it still seems so surreal! Then I went to Spain as the LW rep for the USA and what a memory that was!! Amazing! Every show holds a special place in my heart because I learned more and more about myself at each show and the friends I have met along the way are all very dear to me! MY IFBB Pro card still means as much to me now as it did the moment I was awarded with it back in 2004! It means I made it, that I did the Best I could at something I loved.

Q: What would you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: I guess my shoulders and my abs.


Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: Abs have always been one of my favorite parts to train:)

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like?
A: I eat well all yr round..I never go far off my contest weight...usually no more than 15lbs...IF that. I try and live the lifestyle.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, whats the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I have always gotten Positive feedback from people when they see me and hear that I compete.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I think I get really sick of hearing people ask "How much do u lift..."lol! Because its NOT what u use..its how you use it:)


Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I want people to know that NOT all Bodybuilders use steroids!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part of competing is the structure u have to have...and the worst part of competing is having to eat and cook all the time and take food with u every where u go!

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or any you admire?
A: There are many ladies I admire in the industry...especially the ones that STAY TRUE to themselves and work hard and don't take short cuts without giving it 200%.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Cheat food:) I love margaritas! I love ice cream...I LOVE Pizza! But I rarely eat any of it..even off season!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: WORK HARD and give it everything in you...live the lifestyle in a healthy manner!! Stay true to yourself...if u want it bad enough..u can have it!

Q: You have a website. Can you give out the address.
A: www.vickinixon.com

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I Love to bake and run fire and rescue, I have been a FF/EMT since 1996 as a volunteer and wish I had MORE time to do so! I love the beach and hiking and all types of out door activities!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Vicki Nixon.
A: Up early to train for 2 hrs...cook, clean, train clients...walk the dogs several times a day..take care of my emails and FB friends:) I spend tons of time cooking because my hubby is a bodybuilder too, so between us we eat TONS of food! lol!

Q: Describe Vicki Nixon in five words.
A: Dedicated, Drive, Determined, Loving, Caring

Q: How would you like to be remembered as a bodybuilder?
A: All the above...I give everything I do 200%..heart and soul...

Q: Any plans for the near future?
A: Ah ha! BIG surprises coming!!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I would like people to know that I have a DVD documentary out and its awesome! I am the first female bodybuilder to put my story out there...all the good, bad and the ugly..well as much as we could pour into it in less than 2 hrs! Its for sale on my website in my STORE area...it has gotten TOP RATINGS and reviews as the best female bodybuilder dvd since Pumping Iron 2 The Women! I wanted people to see inside the person behind the body for a change...and I hope everyone will check it out and feel free to email me with your thoughts and comments!! SO many have said that" I inspired them to shot for their dreams because no matter what life throws your way, if u want something bad enough.. u can achieve it!



Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: ALWAYS looking for sponsors!! Because who knows..IF I had them I would be able to afford to compete again! lol!

Q: Vicki again I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you Jason so much for asking me to do this interview...its been awhile since I have done one and I hope I didn't bore anyone! lol! God bless and Take good care

Vicki Nixon IFBB PRO

No comments:

Post a Comment