Monday, May 10, 2010

Maria Penteado Interview





I remember the first time I saw Maria Penteado. It was on Facebook, and it was just a picture of her face. I thought she was just beautiful. Then I saw pictures of her on stage, and was amazed. In an instant it became one of my favorite physiques. Maria has what I call fashion model looks with a fitness model body. How does this sound? Five contests in 2009, with five 1st places and 4 overall winners. She is from Brazil and has been in the U.S. for 19 months, and hopefully isn't going anywhere, because I hope to follow her career. So read this interview and look at the photos. And after it is read and looked at, I am sure Maria Penteado is going to have a lot more fans.




Q: First, Maria, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You are welcome!!!

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are
from, things like that.
A: I am from Brazil. I was born in a town named Araraquara, Sao Paulo State. I am the only child in my family. When I was 24 I moved to USA to study English and I am still here...19 months later.

Q: Before bodybuilding, where you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: No. I have never been a person that practiced sports. I had dance classes when teenager and that was all. I started bodybuilding because I was toooooo skinny.

Q: What initially led you into the gym, and was bodybuilding the goal from day one?
A: Since I was a little kid I remember reading magazines about weight training and always being impressed about the pictures of muscular bodies, but the real reason for start lifting was that I wanna put some size on, once I was to light...no muscles...
I have been training since I was 15 and only competed at age 25, last year, for the very first time.


Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How soon before you
started to see results?
A: I love weight training and, because of that, I was always very interested in learning how to take the best from it, so I am used to read and research...try new things/methods....always open to new ideas. About 3 months after start lifting I could notice a pretty good difference in my body. To better, for sure! ;)

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide
to compete?
A: I trained 10 years before have my first show. I was always used to attend competitions and cheer for my friends, but for some reason, I never went on stage. Then, when I got here, I met a very special girl, that turned my best friend actually, and she told me that I should try to compete and see how I would do...just for the experience. After that I fell in love with bodybuilding and did 5 shows in 7 months, for my first season.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how
about now?
A: My family have never seen me on stage, because they live in Brazil and I only compete here in USA, but they seem very excited about my shows and always give me a great support to keep doing what makes me happy.

Q: Was the first show what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first show was lots of fun! I made great friends and had a wonderful time taking 1st place.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
*April 11th, 2009: NY Steve Stone Metropolitan: 1st place lightweight and overall winner
*April 25th, 2009: NJ Suburbans: 1st place Middleweight and overall winner
*June 6th, 2009: Bev Francis Atlantic States: 1st place lightweight and overall winner
*November 7th: NJ East Coast: 1st place lightweight and overall winner
*November 14th: Easterns USA NY: 1st place lightweight

Q: What do you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Back and Delts.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love doing pull ups and rows.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for
contest prep?
A: I usually train one body part/day. One day of the weeks just for legs, one for back, one for arms...diet in off season: I keep protein high and eat more calories from carbs/fats too...it is not restricted. When I am in pre-contest, I control the amount of food in every meal, keeping protein high and giving special attention for carbs and fats. I also do more cardio during pre-contest. Weight training is the same: heavy, intense and pretty short.


Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common
reaction. More positive or negative?
A: Generally is more positive... people say: "Wow, you are strong!" lol "How much do you bench?" lmao.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are
most sick of hearing?
A: "How much do u bench?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders, or the thing you
most wish people understood?
A: That we work very hard to get this kind of physique, and it is a personal choice to build/have muscles. If people understood this, we wouldn't see so much less discrimination about female bodybuilders.

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more or less accepted by society today then five
years ago?
A: I think today is better, but we still have a long way to go until the society is ready to accept what is different.

Q: You are clearly very beautiful. Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Yes...I like that. ;)

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part: the day of the show, when you look back and feel proud of yourself for giving your best during weeks/months, for resisting to temptations (food/parties etc)...you feel much stronger than before...strong mind...powerful!
Worst part: feeling hungry and tired.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders?
A: I like Dexter Jackson's body.
I like Kai Greene because his story of life is very very interesting and he is one of the most artistic/talented competitors I have ever seen.

Q: DO you have a favorite cheat food?
A: It is not really the worst cheat food, but when I mix whey protein with peanut butter and just a little water, I go craaaaaazy...I can eat a half jar of PB in one seat and loooots of whey. :p

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Be patient and do your best at the gym and on your diet...put your heart in what you are doing and the results will come.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like being with my friends, going out to eat, talking and laughing.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Maria Penteado.
A: I usually wake up at 6:20am, eat breakfast, work with kids ( I am part of an exchange student program), prepare food, train, talk to my family...nothing very exciting. The best part of my day is the time I am training.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am super shy.

Q: Describe Maria Penteado in five words.
Dedicated
Sweet
Positive
Passionate
Perfectionist

Q: Any set plans coming up as far as competing or anything else?
A: For now, I am trying to figure out what I want to do when my exchange program is over....about competing, just keep competing regional shows (and giving my best on it), once I cant do any National level show because I am not an American citizen.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Thanks for everybody that supports me to keep doing this amazing sport and don't let me quit when dieting or facing adversities....everybody has hard times and the way you deal with the situation is what separate the champs from the losers.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors. If so, how can they contact you?
A: Yes, that would be great. They can contact me by myspace: myspace.com/ritapenteado and leave me a message. ;)

Q: Again, Maria, it has been great to have you do this. Any last words before you go?
A: My pleasure. Thanks for the opportunity. Hope to see you guys soon cheering on me during my next show. :) Sorry for the English not being perfect...lol....if it were in Portuguese that would be easier hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment