Wednesday, June 23, 2010

ChieTerui Interview





Chie Terui is not only one of the most beautiful women you will ever come across, but she has one of the best physiques you will ever come across. She has worked very hard to earn that physique. Chie is someone who you can never question her work ethic, determination, desire, and love for what she does. Her goal, like many is to win her IFBB Pro card, and you would be crazy to doubt her and doubt she will get it. Chie is someone who clearly achieves what she sets her mind to. From 5th place in her first competition to where she is now, she just keeps getting better, and there is no doubt she will continue that trend and keep getting better and better.







Q: First, Chie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for this opportunity Jason.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: My name is Chie Terui. I'm from Japan and I've been living in the U.S. for 14 years. I am part owner of Ratio 1:1 Personal Training Center. A personal trainer, International Figure competitor, and mother of three children

Q: Before the gym, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I've always been athletic and I like the challenge of different sports. When I was growing up I tried basketball, even though I'm short, volleyball, badminton, etc. When I was in Jr. high school, I got into a Japanese martial arts form called Kendo and continued through high school and earned my black belt. After that I became a swimming instructor, aerobics instructor, and personal trainer in Japan. So I have been in the fitness industry a long time.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: After all the sports I tried, I still had some weight problems and that lead to me feeling insecure about myself. I became over weight and had high cholesterol problems because of the combination of having three children and the dramatic change in my diet from moving from Japan to the U.S. I went up to a size 12 and I didn't want to take any medications for my cholesterol so I went back to the gym and started exercising and eating healthy.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Yes, I always wanted to learn how to sculpt a body with free weights because they give you a nice toned look, and it is a different look than just losing weight with just cardio and diet. Also, I'm a self-motivated person and don't mind hard work. I was really determined and consistent. Even with the change in my diet and exercise, it still look a little longer for me to see big results. I think a lot of people think that they are eating right and at the time I did too. But if I knew then what I know now about nutrition, I think my weight would have come down faster.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: When I decided to compete, I was already into weight training for 2 years and I was looking for a bigger challenge. Figure came out around that time and I felt it was a great sport and challenge for me.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Well, all my family is in Japan so they didn't have any idea about Figure competition at the time, but my trainer and now my fiance Earl Bel was really supportive of it from the beginning.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: My first competition was the Illinois State Figure Championship in 2003. I took 5th place my first time. There were 28 girls in my class so I think I did really well for my first try. I don't like to lose and I am going for number one every time I compete so my expectations were to win first place. One thing that surprised me was that some competitors didn't have any idea about Figure competition. For instance, how to pick a suit, how to pose or color of tan etc...

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Sure
*2010- Arnold Amateur International Figure- Open A- 3rd place
*2009- Illinois State Figure Championship- Short Class- 1st place
*2007- Illinois State Figure Championship- Open Short- 4th place
*2006- Continental USA Figure Championship- Short Class- 2nd place
*2005- Illinois State Figure Championship- Open Short- 2nd place
*2004- The Body Rock Figure Championship- Open Short- 10th place
*2004- Central USA Figure Championship- Open Short- 2nd place
*2003- Illinois State Figure Championship- Open Short- 5th place

Q: Do you have a body part that you think is your best?
A: I feel that my legs are my best body part.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: I like to train my shoulders and hamstring because I need more!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Monday- Shoulders, Tuesday-Hamstring, Wednesday-Back, Thursday- Chest, Friday-Arms, Saturday-Legs, Sunday-Rest. Cardio 2-3 hours six days a week. My diet consists of proteins hakes, egg whites, chicken, turkey for my protein, sweet potatoes and oatmeal for my carbs, and green vegetables. For contest prep my workout or diet is different every time; It depends how I look at the time.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time whats the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Well, sometimes I get both positive and negative feedback.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: People sometimes ask, "What are you eating to lose so much weight?" Also, people constantly confuse Figure with Bodybuilding.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: As far as Figure, they think we don't train or diet hard. I know that in order for my body to have come this far, I had to do hard training and dieting. It's so easy to see the before pictures and hear how long it took for me to be where I am now, but people would never understand the level of hard work I put in over the years. Most people don't realize how much time and sacrifice competitors put into out sport.


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The worst part about competition is dieting and the restricted schedule because of eating and training. The best part of competing is winning and the end result!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Yes I do. My favorite competitors are Heather Mae French and Mary Lado. I admire their physiques because they are totally different than mine.

Q: DO you have a favorite cheat food?
A: My favorite cheat food is Hooters chicken wings.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell them that you have to love the sport.


Q: You are also a trainer. What got you interested in that and what do you enjoy about it?
A: I love helping change people's lives. I have some life experiences with a lot of problems that many women are going through so I can relate to their problems and help them better themselves physically and mentally. When they can change physically, they feel better and their attitude changes. You would be surprised by how many women are not happy with themselves. But they can change it and I like to help with my talents and life experiences.

Q: If someone was interested in being trained by you, how can they contact you?
A: They can contact me by email at teruichie@yahoo.com or you can always call me at my office at Ratio 1:1 Fitness (708)755-2968. I'm also on Facebook.

Q: You have a website to. Can you give the address out and tell people what they can find there?
A: My website is www.figureprodigy.com, you can find out more about me and see my before picture. Also, my diary and my photo gallery are on there as well.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love dancing. I enjoy salsa, meringue, and Chicago style stepping.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Chie Terui.
A: My day is so busy. I get up to do an hour of cardio, make my kid's breakfast and lunch, send them to school, I then cook breakfast and lunch for my fiance and me. We own Ratio 1:1 Personal Training Fitness Center so when we get to work, we are there all day. Between clients, we do our workout, pick up our kids, cook dinner, and go back to work until we close the facility. The next day we do it all over again. Just talking about it makes me tired!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: My before picture in comparison to how I look now.

Q: Describe Chie Terui in five words.
A: The five words I would use to describe myself are: Hard working, Determined, Competitive, Fun loving, and Bossy!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: My goal is to become an IFBB Japanese Pro Figure competitor and continue to compete and also I have a company called Figure Prodigy International and I would like to help train athletes just like m. I'm going to have The Ratio 1:1 fitness franchise in the future. I also plan to extend my clothing line and become an overall successful business woman.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I definitely want to thank my fiance Earl Bell for believing in my dreams, my children and my staff at Ratio1:1 Fitness for supporting me. I would also like to take this opportunity to promote my website www.figureprodigy.com and look for me at one of my many upcoming appearances.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Chie Terui the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, I am looking for sponsors. I can be reached at teruichie@yahoo.com. As an athlete and competitor, I feel they are getting a highly recognizable hard working and already established business person that can bring recognition to their products and can crate instant mass appeal to people of the U.S. and Japan. Through my life experiences I am able to connect with women and people of all walks of life such as mothers, women with health issues, overweight women, as well as athletes who purchase large quantities of their products. I feel that I am relatable to both athletes and everyday people alike.

Q: Chie, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you again Jason for this opportunity and my last words are : Never Impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment