Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tiffany Upshaw Interview








She won her first show. That in itself should tell you about Tiffany Upshaw. She is a beautiful woman with her head on straight and I truly believe nothing can hold her back. In a sport where everyone is hoping for sponsors, Tiffany has two great sponsors already, so clearly a lot of people are taking notice, not just me. It is women like Tiffany who ensure that the Bikini division is going to be around a long time and keep getting bigger. If you are not familiar with Tiffany read this and get familiar because you are going to hear her name a lot.





Q: First, Tiffany, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Always! I love doing interviews!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Fort Myers, FL and grew up as an only child...yes, 'spoiled' is my middle name =) I still reside here but wish to move and explore another city in the near future. I love it here because of family but am ready to cut my umbilical cord and spread my wings!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: YES! It all started in elementary school running in P.E. and winning the annual Turkey Trots for four years in a row. I also did Pop Warner cheerleading. In middle school, I continued my love for running and joined the Track/Field and Cross Country teams. I later got into Volleyball and Soccer...I tried out for the Basketball team and got cut so needless to say, I am not a great Basketball player! High school came and I wanted to get into the 'girly' things so I went to the Varsity competitive cheerleading try-outs and made the team as a freshman (which was rare!) I was the 3rd girl in the history of my high schools competitive cheerleading team to make Varsity as a freshman and cheer all four years (clap, clap, bravo!)

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I've been working out since I was a sophomore in high school. I worked at a Golds Gym in my town and that's where I learned how to workout and train properly. I started to see alot of changes in my body for the better so I just continued!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: If at first if you don't succeed, try try again! Lol! It took me a bit to get used to gaining the balance in my muscles and the movements of lifting weights. I think due to the athleticism I had since I was a squirt, my body reacted quick and changes came. It could also just be genetics, too =)

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was discovered on MySpace by the supplement companies, Optimum Nutrition and American Body Building - signed a 1 year contract with them and learned what exactly they represented, what they were about and who they were. I learned about the fitness world through them and saw that they had other athletes who compete so I got with a local guy who knew the process of dieting/training and competing and from then on I trained for a local show that I took 1st place in last year! I'm 1/1!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: 100%! MY family loves it! It does take a bit for others who don't compete to understand the process though. My friends didn't quite understand why I couldn't go out, casually drink and eat anything I wanted.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: I was in beauty pageants since the age of 10 months so I knew what to expect with stage presence but being out there in a teeny bikini was a little nerve wracking!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: 2009 NPC Royal Palm Classic - Bikini Short Class Division - 1st Place

Q: Do you feel Bikini competitors are becoming more accepted by other competitors?
A: I'm still new to the NPC Bikini Division so I'm still observing. Some competitors think its a waste of time, some think its great. "I" as a competitor love it!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Hmm..She's Got Leeeggss! Love my legs and glutes. I love my arms too.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I've recently enjoyed doing legs because I've incorporated Plyometric exercises into my workouts. I love cardio...I have a treadmill at home and my new HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio is..your gonna' laugh..but I love listening to my iPod and literally dancing like I was the silhouette in the Apple iPod commercials. I skip, hop, dance, shake, spin backwards, etc...lol..it's crazy but it gets my heart rate up and makes time fly! My neighbors probably die laughing!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train different body parts 4 days a week and have 3 no training/cardio only days. However, I do cardio everyday! This is my 2nd go round prepping for a show so, we'll see what my guy wants me to do closer to show time.

Q: When someone sees or hears you train and compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Positive! They seem to love the dedication I have towards attaining my goal of going Pro in Bikini. It's a healthy lifestyle and alot of people come to me for advice when they find out I am a competitor.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Let me see your muscles" or "Hey, Muscles"...grrr! I'm NOT a bodybuilder or a figure competitor..I am a Bikini competitor and they don't have a whole lot of muscle!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I would love for people to understand that I do this because I have a goal to attain. I'm not doing this to suffer or not enjoy life, I have a valid reason! I have my whole life to enjoy fat food and casual drinks, etc but right now, I want this!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best: The sense of self-pride you have for achieving such a fit body and the hard work it took to get there..plus, your always in teeny bikini /photoshoot shape.
Worst: Dieting is tough..sometimes you have those cravings for something other than chicken and a sweet potato..I want to rip into a cheeseburger sometimes but there will be a time where I can reward myself and have it! Must. Have. FOCUS!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I admire one of the most dedicated figure competitors and someone beyond special to me in my heart, Amy Vetter! She is the person I'd always choose as my work out partner, a rock when I'm weak and my partner in cheat meal crime! I also admire Jennifer Nicole Lee and Ava Cowan!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Ohhmyy..where do I BE-GIN! I love all types of food. Much more than anything, a fine dining experience. I can always go for a cheeseburger and sweet potato fries or Rib City cheese fries with spicy ranch though...can't forget about a Reese's Pieces/Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I'd want to ask her what her goals are and let her know that it's not just a quick process..it does take time and dedication..it's a lifestyle, not a hot minute style.

Q: Do you get a lot of friends asking for diet tips?
A: Yes!

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: 1000%!! I absolutely love it!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I LOVE traveling to South Beach to shop and lay out and "R&R/Me" time. I'm also a secret computer nerd..I love technology! Of course, working out and staying in shape!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Tiffany Upshaw.
A: My days are different but normally every day it's like this: Wake Up, rub my eyes, pee, drink a cup of black coffee, take my fat burner, grab my iPod, hop on the treadmill and dance like it's my last day on earth, lol....attach my Blackberry to my hips, check emails, run errands, work sometimes, work out, lay out, send pictures and my model/talent resume' out to different magazines, companies, etc....cardio at night, sleep ;)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Oh man..lol, probably that I am OCD about certain things and that I'm mixed with African-American & Caucasian <---ALOT of people think I'm Spanish, European or Italian.

Q: Describe Tiffany Upshaw in five words.
A: Over-Achiever. Optimistic. Confident. FUN!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes! I plan on competing at the NPC Tampa Bay Classic and NPC Southern States Championships

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I'd love to promote Optimum Nutrition & American Bodybuilding! The present and future of these companies are going to BLOW up!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Tiffany Upshaw the athlete and competitor?
A: I absolutely love Optimum Nutrition and American Bodybuilding and feel so lucky to be with two amazing supplement companies! Id love to sign with more companies and gain more endorsements but as far as repping other supplement companies, I'm concrete with ON/ABB! I'm literally a walking advertisement with the way I market and promote myself, others and ON/ABB! I can be reached on my website: www.TiffanyUpshaw.net , my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/tiffanyupshaw , or by email: tiffanyupshaw@gmail.com ! Nike - I'm ready to sign when you are! =) I'm open to any respectable opportunities!

Q: Tiffany, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Aww, your welcome! THANK YOU! Last words, "Watch out, I'm flying to the top on my own wings and refuse to stop!"

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the MANY mega-fit ladies at Omni - Fort Myers. Come on in and join the fun!

    ReplyDelete