Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ali Dies Jr. Nationals Interview






OK, it is hard for me to be impartial when talking about Ali Dies. See, I feel she deserved better then 9th at Jr. Nationals. I truly feel she did. However, no secret, I love Ali. I think when you combine, beauty, physique, attitude, kindness, and hard work, Ali may very well be unmatched in the industry. That being said, I do feel she deserved better. She looked incredible on stage. She calls herself a work in progress. I take that to mean she is going to improve, and if she says she will, then believe me, she will, but it is hard for me to imagine her looking even better. Ali really is what I love about the industry. Meeting her in person was one of the great thrills of my life. Ali is a rare and special person, and if you do not know Ali, read and get to know her. You will become a fan to.




Q: Ali, thanks so much for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for asking me again.....since I haven't even finished the first one
yet. I do plan on finishing it.....I am just struggling with a few questions. I might ask you to answer the questions I am struggling with!! Ha! :)

Q: For those who may be unfamiliar, can you tell a little about yourself.
A: My name is Ali Dies. I am 36 yrs old. I am married (for 11 years!) and have 2
children...a daughter that is 20 and a son that just turned 9. I have been competing in the NPC since 2006.

Q: First I must say congrats on the Jr. Nationals. I thought you looked incredible.
A: Thank you very much! You always say the most uplifting things, Jason.

Q: As a show itself, what did you think of it?
A: I had soooo much fun! It's really hard to explain in words. I always wondered what it would be like to walk on a National stage! If I never get to do it again.....2010 Jr. Nationals was totally worth it!

Q: Did the power outage problem have any effect on you?
A: Truthfully, the electricity going out helped to calm my nerves. Walking on stage is the absolute hardest part of competing for me.....so it gave me a little extra time to practice and prepare.

Q: After pre-judging, how were you feeling about your chances?
A: Well, I didn't get first call-outs, so I knew I wasn't in top 5. But I was very
happy with the way I presented myself. I am a bit shy...and it does show on-stage. I think I get a little better every time....but I will never be much of a show off. I just have to learn to be "me" in a way that the judges might like.....smile a bit
bigger and show a little more confidence. I am definitely a work in progress. :)

Q: How did you feel about the overall package you brought to the stage?
A: I believe I was the best I could be on June 18, 2010.

Q: What part of your physique would you say is the one you have improved most in the last year?
A: I totally believe that my most improved body part was my booty! Ha!
"Glutes".....!!!

Q: Was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve on?
A: And I also know that my glutes and legs are what STILL need the most work. I'm
always working to lean out my lower half. I started this year out competing in
Figure....and my training "mind-set" has to be different for Bikini. I LOVE
muscle! I think that if I can just lean out what I already have, I will do much better in Bikini. I know I will never look in the mirror and think I am perfect. I have flaws that can not be fixed....not with time or money....but I am happy with me. For me....it's really not about perfection or even winning, for that matter, it's about being the best I can be on the day of the show......that way I always win!


Q: Did your prep go as smoothly as hoped for?
A: Yes. It went just like I thought it would. It's never easy. On most days you
trick your mind into thinking it's just a regular day! Or you go on a shopping spree! Shopping always helps! LOL!

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "OK I am ready"?
A: Not this time. I was still working to be "ready" the day of the show!

Q: Anything about the prep process you can say you want to do different next time?
A: No, not really. Like I said, dieting is just not easy. But I think you get better at it over time.

Q: After a show like that are you mentally drained at all?
A: YES! That was my first 2 day show! And after the first day you are so worn
out....it is a bit hard to keep hanging on!

Q: The week before a show like that, what are you thinking about? Nervous, excited, what?
A: I have to say I was nervous almost the whole 8 weeks that I was preparing for Jr.
Nationals! I knew that I would be one of the oldest competitors in Bikini and I knew that everyone would look incredible! BUT one of the most exciting things is that I met some of the sweetest girls in the NPC!

Q: How about those last five minutes before you hit the stage, what were you thinking about?
A: You are going to think I am sooo goofy......but I was thinking about the New Orleans Saints and I was singing "Heart of the City (Who Dat)" in my head! Don't
laugh!!! Ha! I love that song and it really gets me pumped up. Surprise!......I'm a Saints fan!

Q: When you were on stage did you try to read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: I just tried to focus on my poses and smiling. The lights were so bright and hot! I really couldn't see anything! Maybe that's not such a bad thing!

Q: What is the first thing you ate when it was over?
A: The same thing I eat after every competition - Peanut Butter M&M's!!!

Q: Was there any other competitors you noticed who impressed you?
A: My very first love was watching Fitness competitors perform their routines. I have always loved to watch the unique things they come up with! And of course you know that "Tracy Dawn Winters" is a very dear friend of mine, so I am always pulling for her!

Q: Anyone you got to meet for the first time you were excited about?
A: OMG! YES! Tamee Marie made a Figure suit for me at the beginning of this year and then she made my Bikini's too. I knew she would be at the show but I didn't realize she was competing too! I got to spend quite a bit of time with her and see her perform her fitness routine on stage. She is an amazing athlete, suit designer and person. Her husband, Chad, is a pretty great guy too!

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: It is probably the most important part of the whole process. My friend, Heather
Kilgore, is a beautiful bikini competitor and I honestly don't think I could have made it through Jr. Nationals, or any of the prep leading up to it, without her. And of course my husband, Ross...daughter, Brittney...and son, Mason...... they keep me believing in myself, even when I don't really FEEL it.

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: No, I haven't made that decision yet. But I will let you know as soon as I do! :)

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: Ross, Mason and Brittney, of course. Amy Peters - for being a wonderful friend and always making sure the make-up is taken care of, even when she can't be there. My workout partner, Skye Ryland-Miller. Heather Kilgore - for everything. Jeff Kilgore - for being our rock thru the whole thing. Tamee Marie - for the best bikinis EVER! Tracy Winters - for always telling me I look amazing - even when I don't. And Kim Oddo - for believing in me.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: www.bodybyo.com , www.tameemarie.webs.com , www.amypeters.net

Q: Ali, I have told you more than once, you are one of my favorite people in the industry. I think the world of you and really was impressed by how you looked on stage. Any last words before you go?
A: I want to thank you again, Jason, for asking me to do this! I really am no one
special......I just enjoy being fit and meeting people with some of the same interests I share. I have made friends in the fitness industry that I wouldn't trade for the world......wouldn't even trade them for a pro card!! :)) And if that's all I ever get out of competing then.........I WIN!!!!! It's been a pleasure getting to know you, Jason, and keep up the good work. God bless you sweetheart, you deserve the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment