Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cydney Walker Interview








Very happy to post this interview with Cydney Walker. Only competed twice and not since 2008, but Cydney is the kind of person I enjoy doing interviews with. Someone who is dedicated, whether it be to the gym, her work, her book, training, school, all those things. Cydney is an interesting woman, and I mean interesting in a good way, a very good way. Now let's hope we see her on stage again.



Q: First, Cydney, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thanks Jason for the opportunity for the interview.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Dallas, Tx. Attending college at TWU in Denton and finished graduate school at Texas A & M Kingsville.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Before the gym, I was a model growing up. Since I was naturally skinny and that seemed like a place for me. After graduating high school I decided I was tired of being skinny and wanted muscular curves.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I went to the gym because I had gained 10 lbs in a couple of weeks when I started dating a boyfriend at the time. I didn't like the way the extra weight looked on me. So to the gym I went and totally fell in love with training.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training was something I picked up very easily, which is what led me to a career as a trainer and dietitian. But I didn't see results for a long time, really long time. I started training when I was 19 and I would say the results didn't show up till after my mid-thirties. LOL! I always looked fit, but not like a bodybuilder, which was the look I wanted.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I decided to compete to get over a work related harassment case I filed. It was a torturous ordeal and I needed something to bring me back to me. So I started prepping for the Heart of Texas in 2007.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: At the time, my family was not that into it. My guy and partner in the gym was
supportive as he helped me mentally focused on the weights while I did my cardio and
diet. My family wasn't sure what to think about it.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was interesting to say the least. I learned that you can never be prepared enough on your first showing. That is just a learning curve show and expect to have your eyes opened from the experience.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Heart of Texas 2007 7th place and 2008 2nd place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I personally feel my back was my best part. But over the past two years, I would say that my legs have taken that title. I have worked hard on bringing in more development in my quads, so now they are my best feature.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Right now, I would say incline bench press. Since I have conquered hitting 135 lbs for reps without a spotter, that is all about ego and me being a bad ass in the gym.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for
contest prep?
A: My normal training is 4 days a week with weights. This past spring I had a groin injury that I am still working through. So now I do corrective exercises for my legs, back and abs to prevent further injury. Cardio changes in prep mode to 1 hour 4 days a week with one day of outdoor training. Depending on my conditioning I may increase my cardio to 90 minutes total, if necessary. I am a vegetarian and most people can't conceive of me doing a prep without egg whites galore. But I gradually take my calories down and eliminate certain higher calorie/fat foods as the weeks pass. May be by week 8 or 6 I start doing the egg whites for dinner then finally for lunch and breakfast the last two weeks of prep.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most common reaction - "You look awesome, you are sure to win". I don't hear the negative. I haven't had anyone honest enough to say it directly to me.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How do you get abs like that." As if there is a magic secret.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: It is a process, a long drawn out process. And if you are going to succeed at this, you need to stick to your plan.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part of competing - coming in conditioned the way you like. Worst part - time consuming. All the training is very time consuming.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Natalie Benson is a favorite of mine. Love her X factor physique. Perfect shoulders to match her quads X.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Alcoholic beverages. Personally, my favorite single malt scotch.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of
advice you would most want to give her?
A: Come in shape the way you want to and not worry about the judges.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women training in the gym as hard as men?
A: I would say yes and no. I still see women training with light weights and believing the myth they will become too muscular if they lift heavy. I am living proof that will not happen.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to build and restore furniture. I am a total HGTV junkie.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Cydney Walker.
A: Wake up, fix protein drink, train a client, come back get little person ready for
school. Then back out the door to see a nutrition client, attend necessary meetings, afternoon on the phone with doctor offices or company's about corporate wellness programs. Early evening training a client or take little one to karate. In there I get my training in and eat!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am very open-minded about other ways of life. I am not caught up on living the way we are socialized in this country. I guess that comes with being a vegetarian. I have a great understanding of others cultures and religions. I don't think that there is one way to be. And we should be more mindful of others, there's nothing wrong with it.

Q: Describe Cydney Walker in five words.
A: Gregarious, Perfectionist, Passionate, Loving and Stubborn.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: No set plans for competing. I was preparing for a show this year, but I am making changes with my business and going back to school to pursue my PhD in possibly biochemistry. Going to start slow since it has been over 3 years since I have been in school. And I am not used to studying anymore.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I offer mobile personal training and nutrition services.
Also in the spring I am hoping to have my book ready - Alternative Names for Pork. It is geared towards vegetarians and others who abstain from consuming pork.

27. Are you looking for sponsors?
A: Not currently looking for a sponsor. Too busy writing my book and getting ready for school in the fall.

Q: Cydney, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks Jason for this opportunity. Enlightening questions about who competitors are as individuals.

3 comments:

  1. I am also happy as you for reading this interview..am a big fan of her..Are there any video of this interview online? If so please send me few links? thanks

    Typical Interview Questions

    ReplyDelete
  2. really enjoyed the interview! Cydney, I had know idea you are a vegetarian...that's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chandra for being a fan.

    Joanthony - you learn something everyday!

    ReplyDelete