Saturday, September 4, 2010

IFBB Pro Vanessa Prebyl Jr. USA's Interview







Your favorite football team makes it to the Superbowl. The two weeks between the last playoff game and the Superbowl, you are so excited and can't wait for the game. Game time comes and suddenly you have battling emotions. Partly excited, partly nervous. Excited because you are happy they are playing for the championship but nervous because you know there is a chance on any day any team can win, and you will feel terrible if they don't win because you know they worked so hard and deserve it. But did you ever notice you take the loss harder than the players? They are doing what the love and if they don't win, then there is always next year. But you are not thinking about next year. You are thinking about right here right now. I am the fan and Vanessa Prebyl has been my football team. Every time I knew "this is her time, that Pro card is hers", and she always just barely missed out. It upset me, but not Vanessa. She knew there was always next year, or in her case, the next show. And she was right. At the Jr. USA's Vanessa won her IFBB Bikini Pro card. My support of and belief in Vanessa is no secret. Which explains all the emails, texts and messages I got to tell me congratulations when she won. I felt like I should be getting some trophy with all the congrats I got.LOL. Knowing Vanessa as well as I do, I can tell you, she has worked so hard for this and truly deserves it. The admiration I have for Vanessa is one of two reasons I picked the show I picked to compete for the first time. You will be hard pressed to find a woman who combines work ethic, dedication, great physique, kindness, and yes, beauty into one complete package like Vanessa does. This is just the beginning too. Vanessa you are going to make an incredible Pro and are going to represent the Bikini division with class and dignity, just as you have been doing from day one. You have such a bright future and I can't wait to see the next phase. Vanessa, thank you for being Vanessa Prebyl




Q: Vanessa, thanks for taking the time out to do this.
A: Of course Jason, I am always more than happy to do an interview.

Q: For those who may not be familiar, can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I am a 28 year old Bikini competitor who started competing about a year ago.
I am a small-town girl. I was raised on a ranch in Southern California. My sister and I rode horses, built forts, played hide-and-go-seek on 22 acres. Of course, living on a ranch also comes with the mandatory chores such as; feeding all of the animals, getting the chicken eggs, building fences, cleaning up the pens (you know the fun stuff).
My mother raised my sister and I by herself. She is a very strong woman who was never afraid to get things done and taught me also to be a strong and determined woman. I have always been one for a challenge. When I was in eighth grade I signed up at the Boys and Girls Club for Freestyle Wrestling. I loved the challenging workouts and when I started high school I joined the Cabrillo Wrestling team. I wrestled all four years of high school and it was the best learning experience I have ever had. I learned so much about who I am and how far I could push myself no matter what anyone said.
After I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Accountancy from CSU Northridge, I was hired on at a great accounting firm in Los Angeles where I performed audits on private and public companies. I learned so much within my first year, however, the long hours and stress levels added to my waistline to say the least. One day I looked in the mirror and I asked myself "Am I happy?" I knew if I was asking myself, I already knew the answer. That was it, I put my notice in without having any employment lined up.
I had worked out before on my own, but after gaining over 20lbs from the long hours of accounting; I knew I needed help to shed the excess in a healthy way. My husband did some research and found Kim Oddo's website. Kim helped me become fit and gain muscle. I must give credit where it is due "Thank you Kim Oddo for everything".
I now am a Personal Trainer in Santa Barbara County, California, and an IFBB Pro Bikini competitor. I can truly say I am "living my dream".

Q: I must say congrats on Jr. USA's and winning your long overdue Pro card. I thought you looked incredible.
A: Thank you so much. I felt really good at the Jr. USA's and the event went very smoothly. However, as for the long overdue part, I feel everything happens for a reason and I think it happened when it was supposed to. I am just very grateful the judges felt that my body came in just perfectly :-)

Q: What does winning the Pro card mean to you personally?
A: Wow. Winning my Pro card means that I am doing what I love and I am succeeding at it. It feels AMAZING! It means that all of the long hours in the gym and sticking to my diet day-in and day-out really did pay off. It also means that I now have an obligation to myself, the IFBB, and the fans to be the BEST possible Pro I can be. To up-hold my status and work ethic with class and strength as a Professional Athlete. I know how many women would love to be in my position and trust me I do not take my Pro status for granted. I have worked so hard and I feel that this win is for all of the people that have worked hard for a goal. I am proof that you can make it happen, all you have to do is put in the work.

Q: We have talked and I said repeatedly that I thought you deserved the Pro card in show that you didn't get it in. You seemed to take it in stride knowing you would eventually get it. Is that a fair statement?
A: Yes, I truly enjoy being on the stage and every time I competed I brought the best package I possibly could. You can only do your best and that is all I asked of myself.

Q: As a show, what did you think of it?
A: I loved it. Te two promoters, Lee Thompson and Tres Bennett really know what competitors want and need. The host hotel was reasonably priced and the venue had two large rooms with almost all of the walls in vanity mirrors (sooooo nice). They also had the air conditioning on so that the competitors didn't sweat their tans off. Also the trophies were so AWESOME. The top five in the class get the dragon daggers and the overall received a sword. Last but not least, they had a dessert table to the left of the stage as you exit. Yay, this was a BIG hit for the competitors ( I myself did not get to partake in that because I have my Pro debut in one week).

Q: How confident were you going in?
A: I am a hard worker and always bring my best package. As they say "the name of the game is preparation" and I always feel confident on stage because I KNOW I have done the best I possibly can to prepare myself.

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: I felt good. I was placed toward the middle of the group so I felt I was in good standing. I honestly don't try to think of my chances per say, but what I can do to improve my presentation for the night show.

Q: How did you feel about the package you brought to the stage?
A: I loved it. I have brought up a few body parts so I was very happy to show the judges my improvements.

Q: What part of your physique would you say was the one you have improved the most the last year?
A: My lower body has really started to work with me. Haha, all of you women out there may understand that. My quads started to come down a little and my hamstrings started to pop more to give my legs more balance.

Q: Probably a strange question considering you won the overall, but was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve?
A: I love my body and always have. I am just so glad and grateful that the judges liked it as well. The only think I would like to improve on is my mind-muscle connection when I am in the gym so that I may work my muscles more specifically.

Q: Did your prep go as smoothly as hoped for?
A: I have been doing National shows almost back-to-back so my body is actually where it needs to be and it has been almost easy to maintain. I just eat right/clean and workout. I do work very hard in the gym, but with that being said, I also get my peanut butter and yams. YAY!!!! For carbs ad good fats :-)

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "O.K., I am ready"?
A: Jason, You know me, I have been ready :-)

Q: Anything about the prep process you want to do different next time?
A: I let my trainer Kim Oddo worry about that. He has a great eye for a competitor's physique.

Q: After a show like that, are you mentally drained at all?
A: Well it is busy, that is true. You have interviews and photo shoots, but you are riding a wave of excitement. It is all worth it :-)

Q: The week before a show like that, what are you thinking about? Nervous, or excited or what?
A: I am always EXCITED!!! I love the stage. I feel so alive up there and so relaxed. It makes me happy just thinking about it. Huuuuummmmm :-)

Q: How about those last five minutes before you hit the stage what are you thinking about?
A: This time before I stepped on stage I was waiting in the line-up about 5 feet from the stage and I can see men's Overall being called out. I started thinking how amazing it would feel to win a show. Wow. Not just the class but the whole show. I thought that would be amazing. I then practiced my poses about 3 or 4 times and smiled at all of the beautiful women that were in my line up (they were all very nice). Then it was our turn. They started announcing our names and we all started walking up the stairs to the stage. I could now see the judges and all of the people in the audience. Gees, I LOVE that feelings. I honestly feel like I "light up", maybe it is all of the energy I feel from the audience.

Q: When you are on stage do you try and read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: I don't try to read anyone when I am on stage. I just enjoy the moment and truly smile at them. I think in my head "thank you for allowing me to be here, thank you for my healthy, thank you for my life, and thank you for being me". I know it sounds corny, but when you work so hard for something and know you have made improvement on it, it feels AMAZING and it is nice to just enjoy the moment.

Q: What's the first thing you ate once it was over?
A: My regular dinner which consists of 99% fat free turkey, asparagus, and some almonds. I know I'm such a splurger. Haha :-)

Q: Were there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: Just to have the confidence and work ethic all of the competitors have **THAT** is what impresses me. I am however always impressed with the Fitness girls. I think they are so AWESOME!! Not only do they workout and eat clean they also do back-flips and splits. I was talking to Alissa Carpio- Fitness Tall Class backstage after her performance and all I could think is WOW!! I ever saw Alissa the next morning when she was checking out of the hotel and she had a baby that wasn't even one. My hat is off to that woman. She is absolutely AMAZING and super nice :-)

Q: What will be your biggest memory from the entire weekend?
A: How much LOVE Texas showed me. Jr. USA's will always have a special place in my heart. And of course the feeling of having my name called and awarded my Pro card. I think I just started hugging everyone and shaking so hard. I did my best not to cry because my make-up artist J. Zubire would have kicked my bootay if I made my mascara run. Haha

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: Well the support of my family, friends, and of course the fans means the world to me. One man I must give special thanks to is my husband. He has always been so supportive in the good times and bad. He is truly a partner and helps whenever he can. When I start to feel tired as a show is approaching he jumps in and cooks all of the food or cleans the house. Wow. He truly is the man of my dreams. Thank you honey! xoxo

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: Yes!! Tournament of Champions in Culver City, California. Wish me luck!!! :-)

Q;Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process or take this time to plug or promote?
A: Yes, I would like to say thank you to my trainer Kim Oddo .
Also the awesome promoters Lee Thompson and Tres Bennett for putting on the Jr. USA's (P.S.: To all the competitors, they had a desert table after the show :-)
The NPC and IFBB for making the Bikini Division.
Further thanks to my family, friends and of course my fans. One of my biggest and most supportive fans is the man in charge of running the blog Promoting Real Women .
Yes, I mean YOU Jason! Thank you for always believing in me :-) I also do a weekly blog called the Competitors Edge on his blog where I talk about how to improve as a competitor.
And you can not forget the people that made me stage ready, Jan Tana for an amazing stage color and J. Zubire, my amazing make up artist.
Thank you soooooo much to all of you!!!

Q: Has it sunk in yet that you are now an IFBB Pro and among the elite?
A: Wow, I don't think it has. I think it will sink in at my Pro debut at the Tournament of Champions in Culver City, California on September 11.

Q: In one word, how does this sound "IFBB Pro Vanessa Prebyl"?
A: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Q: Vanessa again, congrats. It is no secret how highly I think of you. When you won, I probably got fifty congratulations emails because they knew how bad I wanted this for you. You deserved it and are everything that I love about this industry. Any last word before you go?
A: Yes. I just want to say thank you to everyone for their AMAZING support. It really means the world to me. I also would like to say thank I will do my absolute best as a competitor to bring the Bikini Division the respect and class it deserves. I know many women would love to be in my shoes and if any and all that are reading this, please know "This win is for all of us." It was not easy, however it sure is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment