Tuesday, December 28, 2010

IFBB Pro Rhonda Lee Quaresma Interview


Took some time to get it all going, but so excited to present this interview with Rhonda Lee Quaresma. Rhonda Lee was one of the first bodybuilders I considered myself a fan of. Of course at the time, I knew little and it was really just her amazing physique and beauty that made me a fan. But now it is her attitude. Her attitude about herself, life, and the sport. Not to mention, winning her Pro card in her first National show, which is an amazing accomplishment. Though she has not competed in awhile, Rhonda Lee still looks amazing, and could step on stage and do really well at any time. Whether she does step on stage again or not, Rhonda Lee is someone you can bet, will do what she wants, when she wants, how she wants, and have fun doing it.





Q: First, Rhonda Lee, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You are welcome Jason! I appreciate the reach out!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Born and raised in Kingston, ON Canada. Dad native Indian and french and mom dutch and Scottish. I came along late in my parents life...dad was 54 and mom 38. Siblings :2 half sisters and half brother and 2 full brothers. Because of my later arrival i lived only with my one brother first two years of my life! But that still made a lifetime bond! Otherwise its kind of like i was an only child so my parents treated me like a Princess!
Currently I live in Toronto, On Canada. Single but good! My children are my cats! Previous chapter in my life I had been married for 10 years and there is when the bodybuilding began for me! And still it continues and so long as I am on this earth and able I will live and love the bodybuilding/health lifestyle!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: No!! Well probably though! I was an extremely shy little girl and was afraid of almost everything therefore assuming I couldn't do anything! Was just born like this...had great parents who thought I was the best child ever! Genetically i had it but mentally i didn't! That's how bodybuilding changed my confidence and life for the better!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: A few things but I'd have to say first was the fact that after puberty I had curves in all the right places but then as my height stopped the curves kept growing...teehee. So I started putting weight on and it bothered me so at 16 my dad took me into my first gym called New World Nautilus in my hometown of Kingston and I started aerobics!


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Well at 16 I did aerobics for three years to the point of always getting shin splints and my body didn't really change. Then finally three years later a friend from my first gym New World Nautalis took me under his wing and taught me the basics of lifting and in three months my body changed!! I was hooked!

Q: Your first show was the 1989 Kingston Open, which you won. What made you decide to compete?
A: After almost a year of training I met my husband to be and he had just competed! An excellent bodybuilder I credit him for teaching me my foundation that made me the successful bodybuilder I am today. He saw that I had a genetic potential and encouraged me to do a show. The rest is history!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: 100%! My parents were sooooo proud of me and supportive...to this day even though they are gone they are my biggest supporters! And my hometown always did newspaper coverage and i had tons of friends travel to support me at shows. In my marriage it at times caused a strain as we were both bodybuilders and well I'll leave it at that!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Any memories of that first show?
A: Beyond what I expected in a completely positive way! Clear memories of an indescribable sense of accomplishment and facing a lifetime fear....probably a couple...EXTREMELY shy....ask anybody who knew me as a child!

Q: You earned your IFBB Pro card at the 1996 Canadian Nationals. What did winning your Pro card mean to you?
A: Well I truly didn't expect to win...I went in as I always did to shows doing beyond the limit training and believing in myself because I did what I was supposed to and then some. BUT the nationals was the one show I figured for sure I wouldn't win and I just wanted top 3, but of course I trained to win. Just prepared myself for the fact that this realistically is a show that would be tough to win if at all! I was just thrilled to have reached that level! So when I won, it was like 'Whaaaat....do I do now? Haaa'! So many thoughts and feelings!


Q: I believe that was actually your first National show as well. Did you ever imagine winning your Pro card that quick?
A: I am flattered and impressed at your research Jason! Wow! As I said, not at all!! Really had no expectations. I really think that's part of why I was so successful! I took each moment as just that and when i finished a day of training i was always happy because I knew I was one second better than before.

Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
*Miss Kingston Lightweight 1st place
*Miss Ottawa Lightweight 1st place
*Miss Ottawa Lightweight 1st place
*Miss Ontario Lightweight 1st place
*Miss Canada Middleweight 1st place and overall
*Miss Canada ?95
*International Federation Bodybuilder Professional (IFBB Pro)

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: When I was competitive, id say legs, now prob arms.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Again competitive career was legs/squatting; now hmmm I like something for every body part.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like?
A: Well here is an example of one of my training days now and I always try splitting my workouts so twice per day. ie.
Day 1 looks something like this: Legs, hams, buttocks, calves, stretching, cardio, then rest of body split up throughout week of a five day program that includes diet attention, my body & program assessment, and I like to add in another element ex. ...like a finisher ie...tanning to add to overall affect. And psychological aspects also kept in check to keep you training hard, etc!

Q: When someone sees your physique for the firs time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: That depends! 75% positive...people recognize and respect the work and are just very gracious people who can be positive towards another; 23% neutral...people mind business or don't judge according to a persons looks, 2% negative...the ignorant and those unfortunately jealous maybe not so much of me but the lack of ability to even try to attain a goal...who knows their deal!


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How do I get abs?" And I am supposed to tell them the magic answer then and there like its that simple....and even if it were like I would just tell...teehee

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Ughh I even hate acknowledging this question I hate the misconception so much....That female bodybuilders are men or want to look like men and that we cannot be feminine! BS!! Yes the muscle can be deceiving to a simple mind perhaps, but I say I built my muscle with my mind! Not because I'm some tough ass aggressive chick and I'm sure that goes for all the women bb's! In fact it gives a confidence to be even more feminine ...ask any male or female muscle lover!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best is the reward first of self gratification, accomplishment and empowerment which all transcends into id say all other areas of your life! ie. its so grueling and iron will disciplined that after if u do it all with that willpower and properly you feel there isn't anything you can't do in your life! The worst part is the pain of restricting yourself in almost all areas of your life for long stretches of time sometimes. ie no junk food or only maybe sporadically for months at a time; sacrificing time with loved ones as the sport requires eating,breathing, sleeping all facets of your life to focus on that show. It takes understanding and I say an empathy on the parts of both parties involved to balance career goals and a healthy loving relationship of whatever that may be.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I do and theres a few now male and female for different reasons but the same level of favouriting for me. ie. Rachel McLish: My first icon and who I aspired to be in my own way. She was strong but so beautiful and sexy! Sue Price: When i was half way through my amateur competitive career her striated glutes and legs with size inspired me! Her along with a couple other bodybuilders made me find out to do the same and for the first time I had striated glutes and full legs on stage! Dennis Newman: The male comparison of Rachel I'd say but obviously more muscular...his fullness yet perfect shape and lines in his physique was breathtaking to look at! And very handsome. Joe Deangelis: His hardcore training and attitude shows an undeniable pushing beyond the limit to make the pain almost seem pleasure...that's the true bodybuilding spirit! And obviously the physique speaks for itself, which he has used to make his success as an excellent business man in our LA bodybuilding and entrepreneurial , family and entertainment world, which is growing throughout the USA! Very inspiring!!


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Do I just get to pick one? Teehee.....well if I do lets say Chocolate! But with stuff in it, or around it or whatever...mmmm!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Not to be afraid to lift weights and not to be so confident that you will easily put muscle on the way she thinks like most women do! You need resistance to put muscle on or even to just firm up, and the muscle u r afraid of putting on requires a whole different type of training anyhow!

Q: It is not a secret, you have done adult films. How did you get involved in that?
A: Well, for a few reasons but I would say the main reason and the one I will tell here ;) is because I could! Really! And I'm a risk taker. Always been a sexual gal and comfortable and confident with my sexuality. Had just become truly single and I don't know maybe the idea of not having to answer to anybody made me go to the extreme...I just remember thinking it would be fun, Id get paid, would exchange pleasure and I just wanted to! I found an ad that seemed up my alley, called and ironically he was curious about the fitness gals and seeing as I called he scooped me up and the rest is another chapter in my history books! Also have been in the process of transitioning out of the adult business now at least at a hardcore level anyhow! And it never was anything I made a full time career doing and I could have but I just liked the spontaneity of being able too do it on occasion! And I think an observation I've made about myself is I really seem to get off (no pun intended) on the shock effect I create in the universe...not quite sure what that means...teehee!

Q: Have you ever felt any backlash from any competitors or anyone in the industry over it?
A: Surprisingly no and not even how you would think in the rest of the world too! If there has been any they certainly haven't been brave enough to say anything to my face! But I tend to do well at keeping that world in that world and I don't cross lines or disrespect others. I do what I do for my own reasons and I don't bother anybody else...lets just say whatever hat I am to be wearing at a given time is the hat I wear clearly giving 110%! ;)


Q: You have a great website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there?
A: www.Rhondalee4U.com
Its a personal website...basically a fan site and I use my persona to reach out to other people regarding bodybuilding, music/entertainment and sensuality. Working on store and my personal training page is there, photos a blog etc. Ive pretty much one it solo so forgive if not perfect and such little time, BUT I keep doing what I can when I can in the aim of eventually making it perfect as I want and know it can be. Oh and I also am open to sponsors and advertisers! I'm revamping site soon to focus more on my Personal training business which is where I'm putting most of my energy these days!

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Dancing, dancing and more dancing...teehee. House music and coloring...yea for real, taking care of hanging with my baby cat mace!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Rhonda Lee Quaresma.
A: Too busy but I mostly do things according to my own choice as I'm my own boss. Of course I train and TRY to twice per day with a day off per week and two off every other week. Emails, phone calls, always working on the bigger plan(the business part), trying to get time with the special people in my life, and now really putting my energy into my training business on a more full time basis. So excited about this!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I'm old fashioned at heart for real! I'm a closet geek I say...those who knew back when say I was a child or ex would verify this!

Q: Describe Rhonda Lee Quaresma in five words.
A: Intense, Fun, Determined, Caring, Scatty

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Well, you ever hear the saying, a boxer never really hangs up his gloves after his last fight? Well I ALWAYS have that burning desire to compete again but Ive never been able to have everything align as I need be for me to feel confident enough and focused enough I guess to do it again! But every year I think I have a couple serious moments of I'm going to do this then it just becomes clear I cant . ie. re my bodybuilding I'm such a perfectionist. So I just know what I need for me probably mentally first to continue. And the women have gotten even bigger which I absolutely LOVE but Ive not been focusing on the growth factor re my physique...quality and aesthetics always! Ive considered figure again as even they have gotten bigger...some I find bigger than me! BUT I get slammed with the stereotype...don't matter what I look like, once a bodybuilder, always a bodybuilder in the eyes of the biased which seems to be....u know! ;)


Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
MY FOCUS THESE DAYS AND FOR A WHILE TO COME! Doing what I should be!
Bodybuilding.com - Personal Trainer Of The Month: RhondaLee ...
Congratulations RhondaLee on being our Personal Trainer Of The Month RhondaLee was awarded the Bodybuilding.com Personal Trainer of the Month for her commitment to helping her clients achieve their fitness goals

Q: Rhonda Lee, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go ?
A: Hmmm....I guess just Thank YOU Jason for the faith and for the chance to speak, and of course to anybody who takes interest and support in me out there, Thank u!
I believe even if you dont know exactly what people (my fans, supporters, good intendors) do for u exactly, weather it be a thought or a particular thing, that all that energy is put out there and directed towards me so it has to do something great! I am always open and aware, so Thank You all!
;) xo Luv ya! xo
CONTACT RE TRAINING: Rhonda_lee_quaresma@hotmail.com RE Modeling/business: Rhondalee@Rhondalee4U.com

No comments:

Post a Comment