Monday, December 20, 2010

Kelli Jo Fleak Interview


I recently put a little advertisement on the fan page for this blog asking for more interviews. One who responded was Kelli Jo Fleak. I had to responses. One of them was "Why did I not know about her already", I was that impressed. The second was "I definitely want an interview with her", again, I was that impressed. Reading this interview has made me even more impressed. Very rarely does a competitors determination and passion come across so well. She has a clear love for the lifestyle and a clear passion for training. Kelli Jo is an example of why I love the fitness industry.





Q: First, Kelli Jo, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Claremore, Oklahoma. I have also lived in Alamogordo NM
before settling down in Bartlesville Oklahoma . I am married to my soul
mate & High School sweetheart and together we have three amazing kids, two
sons ages 17 & 13 and one daughter age 11. I am Co-Owner with my husband of
Xtreme Fitness where I am also a personal trainer & a fitness camp
instructor. I am also an amateur figure/bikini competitor in the NPC.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: Oh most definitely! My parents were not athletic at all, but my siblings
were! I grew up watching them ride bulls, play baseball, basketball, run
track! I knew that someday I wanted to participate in the same sports and
have people cheering me on! I played soccer and ran track, then I
discovered basketball! I loved it! I worked hard on and off the court and
ended up playing with the High School team when I was still in junior high,
it was great!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My husband has lifted weights since college and has always walked around
looking like a bodybuilder! I had always done aerobics and cardio but never
weight training. So after my 3rd child was born I decided I wanted to learn
what weights could do for my body. So I had my husband take me to the gym
and into the weight room and get me started. From there I hired a trainer
to teach me even more


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you
started to see results?
A: I did seem to pick up weight training easily. In fact, while training,
random people in the gym including my trainer started telling me that I
should get certified and become a trainer……then they started asking me if I
had ever considered competing….I bought a few fitness magazines and looked
at the fitness competitors……WHOA….these girls looked amazing….beautiful &
perfect…I absolutely could not see me, a married mom of 3 ever doing this!
But every time I stepped foot in the weight room, I couldn’t get enough (I
still can’t), I started going 2-3x a day (still do), If I couldn’t go for
whatever reason, I would hold my toddlers and lunge across the back yard,
lay on my back and chest press them, do pushups…anything I could do to
improve my body! After about 3 months I began seeing definition in my body,
my clothes started fitting differently…..I was getting results! Holy Cow!
Then I started getting more and more complements not only from friends and
family but from random strangers….people could actually tell I worked
out….wow! My hard work and time in the gym was paying off! Sweeeeet!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: About 5 yrs ago I had a friend who was turning 50, she had always wanted to
do one show so she asked me to do one with her…We started out training
together and even ordered our suits…then I dropped out…I couldn’t see myself
stepping up on stage, not yet. She was considerably leaner than me on a
regular off season basis, I was built, but I was thick and bulky….not lean…I
had a lot more work to do than she did. So I made up my mind I would do
that show, The Red River Classic the next year..so I worked my butt off
literally and lost 36lbs in 3 months (but still was far from where I needed
to be)…but I set an attainable goal….my goal for my first show was “to make
it on stage and look like I belonged up there”……I had done it! It was
beyond exciting to reach that goal….it wasn’t enough, I wanted front row, I
wanted to place…I wanted a trophy!!!!!So I continued to compete in every
local show I could and never once placed below the top 4 in whatever class I
entered….this only fueled the fire and my passion to continue and better
myself with each show!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes and No. My family are HUGE supporters of my competing! Especially my
husband! They understand the strict meal planning, the Tupperware
containers with contest food taking over the fridge, long training
sessions…every single aspect of it….they know what to expect now and how it
works! My close friends are very encouraging & supportive also. In all
honesty, living in a small town….many acquaintances I will say…aren’t so
supportive about an average everyday married mother of 3 holding her own on
stage in a bikini. They almost act as if a fit body in a swimsuit is a
dirty thing…I know crazy huh?! (as I have talked to other competitors, they
all say they have experienced some of this also). But, I don’t let the few
negative people get to me…that’s their problem! I do what I love and I love
what I do and the tremendous amount of encouragement and support that I
receive from the ones that really matter well makes up for those few who
throw stones!


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Well, In all honesty I didn’t quite know what to expect the first time I
competed! I can honestly say that I didn’t realize the dedication and the
amount of sacrifices I would take on in order to compete. Many people have
no clue, they think you get a tan, put on a bikini and prance around on
stage…..NOT! For me, its at least 16-18 weeks of strict 100% discipline on
my nutrition & hours upon hours in the gym. My whole world revolves around
training & eating for the show, preparation of food, intensity of workouts,
timing of meals…..the whole thing! Posing has been the most difficult thing
for me to master (I haven’t mastered it yet)…I had low back surgery 4 years
ago and I am very stiff on a daily basis and lack flexibility in my
back…..so I really, really have to work at it.. Fortunately I have a wonder
friend and coach, IFBB competitor Kendra Elias to coach me.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
2010
*NPC The Red River Body Building Classic- 3rd Place Masters Bikini Class and 4th Place Open Bikini Class
*NPC Battle of the Bodies- 2nd Place Master Bikini Class and 2nd place Open Bikini Class
2009
*NPC The Total Package- 3rd Place Masters Figure Class
*NPC Battle of the Bodies- 2nd Place Masters Figure Class, 2nd Place Open Figure Tall Class, and 2nd Place Open Bikini Tall Class
2008
*NPC The Red River Classic- No Placement Master Figure Tall Class (1st Show)

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Well….I would have to say my legs and my booty! I have always had very
strong, defined, muscular legs. I had an Apple Bottom long before Nelly
ever sang about it! :-)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I absolutely love training my shoulders! I always immediately feel the burn
and the pump at the same time! I love how they look and feel after every
single workout!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter
it for contest prep?
A: Well I am strict for the most part…I ten to indulge one or two meals a week
during the off season. (my indulgence may be a Dr. Pepper or chips & salsa
though)I always eat high protein & low carbs. I’m lactose intolerant so I
never eat any dairy and I’m allergic to refined sugars so that helps keep me
on track. Even though my off season nutrition seems too strict for most
people to follow, it is altered quite a bit for contest prep! Every single
bite I put in my mouth is measured and weight and ALL my meals are prepared
and consumed around my training schedule.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time,
what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most people are very positive and give lots of encouraging words. Although
I did have one mom say her 11yr old daughter couldn’t be my friend on face
book because I had competition bikini photos on there! LOL……People just don’t
understand what its all about. A lot of people think all I do to prepare is
tons of cardio and starve myself…..when actually I probably consume more
calories and do less cardio during contest prep than they do on a daily
basis. (its all about the right calories and the right kind of cardio).
I feel like everyone who see’s me knows that I workout, and the members of
my gym always seem to know just by observing me whether or not I am in
contest mode.

Q: When people see or hear you train and compete for the first time, whats the one comment or question you are most sick of hearing?
A: I wouldn’t say that I get sick of any comments, but I do get tired of
hearing how obsessed I am. I saw a quote one time that stated “Obsessed is
a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated:”……I think all female athletes
are disciplined in nutrition and training…..then add their competitive
personalities and put that all together and you have a female fitness/figure
competitor!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part of the entire process is Showtime! Knowing that I myself was
disciplined enough to get my body contest ready. The worst part of the
whole process is the diet! People always say eat this, have that, one piece
of pizza or a cookie wont hurt you! Not giving into the cravings or
pressure is all worth it come Showtime……THEN I’m hunting down those people
who offered me the pizza and cookies….I gladly accept them after I stop off
stage! Lol


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: MONICA BRANT!!!!! I have been fascinated with her since the first time I
saw her! I have followed her throughout the years and observed her many
accomplishments. I think I would faint if I ever met her in person! She is
just amazing!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: P I Z Z A ~~~~I love it, I just don’t indulge in it as much as I would like
to ! (usually it’s the first and only thing I want immediately after a show)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Discipline! Once you commit yourself to a show you have to have discipline
to say no to someplace you wanna go, something you wanna eat, or something
you wanna do if it interferes with your nutrition or training schedule….and
that can be very hard to do! I workout about 2 hours a day 6x a week during
off season and 3 hours a day 6-7 days a week during contest prep…..I still
fit that in with work odd hours, train clients, getting kids off to school
and to their sports and activities, my housework and time with my husband.
Sometimes you have to say NO to lunch with your girlfriends or sleeping in
on a Saturday……Competing is all about discipline and organization…if you can
master those traits…..you can do it! :-)

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym training
as hard as men?
A: Most definitely! As a personal trainer myself, woman’s body respond to
heavier free weights and body weight exercises much quicker than machines!
I have women clients immediately reach for the 3lb weights for an exercise
and I say NO NO, you carry grocery bags much heavier than that and I will
hand then 10 or 15lb weights…they are always amazed that they can lift them!
Women are strong, powerful athletes they should absolutely train as hard as
a man !

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Ha Ha well…..I love SHOPPING and Laying Out by the Pool! I always have!
To me, these activates are relaxing and make me feel good! I love watching
old movies and walking my dogs!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kelli Jo Fleak.
A: I would love to….I have had volunteer moms call me and say “we are
contacting all the moms that don’t work to see if they would like to
volunteer for this or that at the school…..because I don’t punch a time
clock they have no idea what a typical work day is for me)

5:00am up & off to teach Booty Camp at the gym
7-8:00am home & get kids off to school
10am-noon Workout & do cardio
1:00pm-4pm Clean house, run errands, walk dogs & prepare dinner
4:00pm-5:00pm More Cardio at the gym
5:00pm-7:00pm Transport kids to activities & train clients
7:00pm-9:00pm Down time with family & more house work
10:00pm bedtime and repeat the next day!
(during contest prep I add another cardio session in at 8pm in addition to
everything else listed……so you can see what I mean by preparation and
organization)

Q: Describe Kelli Jo Fleak in five words.
A: Funny, Positive, Outgoing, Athletic & Self Disciplined

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I absolutely hate public speaking! I’m super outgoing, spontaneous and
love all eyes on me….I love to make people laugh….but the thought of giving
a speech to a group of people terrifies me!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I will continue to compete in the same shows in 2011. I am adding the NPC
Oklahoma show to my schedule this year….and the exciting thing is my husband
will compete with me for the first time ever!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Well…Competing is not for everyone…but I strongly believe that exercise and
a healthy lifestyle is. Many people do not know where to start…so whether
it is just learning about nutrition or wanting to know your fat burning zone
when you do cardio or revamping your workouts completely and trying
something new……I think everyone should hire a personal trainer to get them
started…..I would love to instill the passion that I have for a healthy
lifestyle and daily exercise to everyone I can….so you should go to XTREME
FITNESS and let us help create a healthier you! :-)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are
they getting in Kelli Jo Fleak the athlete and competitor?
A: Of course, Sponsorships would be a wonderful, helpful opportunity and would
open many doors for me that I probably would be unable to open on my own.
When it comes to health and fitness I give it all I have and then some….I
know I have a lot to offer if given the chance to prove myself.
I can be reached on face book as Kelli Jo Hendrix Fleak or via emails at
kellifleak@cableone.net or xtremefitness@cableone.net


Q: Kelli Jo , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last
words before you go?
A: Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to speak out and do this
interview! Please know that with the love and support of your friends and
family…ANY goal you set for yourself is reachable! Good luck to everyone!
Xoxoxoxo Kelli Jo Fleak

2 comments:

  1. She is my Trainer and she is amazing no only with training but as a person too. She is fun to be with and learn things from. In the small town that we live in it is great to find someone with the same passion towards health as me! LOVE HER!!

    ReplyDelete