Sunday, January 9, 2011

IFBB Pro Beth Wachter Interview


I went to 2010 Masters Nationals. Saw some impressive physiques on stage throughout the day. Obviously some stood out. One that really stood out was Beth Wachter. How much did it stand out? She won her IFBB Pro card that night. But what stood out almost as much as her incredible physique (and amazing back), was how humble she was and how much fun she seemed to have on stage. She seemed so surprised she won, and then seemed even more gracious after she won. From 93lbs to IFBB Pro Bodybuilder..... that is a very impressive story about a very impressive woman.




Q: First, Beth, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am originally from Cincinnati, Ohio. My family moved down to Ft. Lauderdale, FL when I was 9. Now, I live in North Palm Beach.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Before the gym, I used to run and did a lot of martial arts. Earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do but hurt my ankle and could no longer do martial arts. That's when I decided to try bodybuilding.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I always worked out in a gym just to stay in shape.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: From the first time I went into the gym, it was something I really enjoyed. I always looked forward to training.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was always little, about 93 pounds, and could never really put size on. I enjoyed attending bodybuilding shows and saw the girls on stage and really wanted to compete, but always thought I was too small. Then, I started eating more and training harder and really started seeing results, and that's when I decided it was time to compete.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My family was very supportive, especially my youngest daughter, Nicci.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I really didn't know what to expect, I had never done anything like it before. The feeling of stepping on stage was surprising and exciting in an addictive kind of way.

Q: You won your Pro card in 2010 at Masters Nationals. What did winning the pro card mean to you?
A: It was the most amazing feeling. Training and living the bodybuilding lifestyle for ten years. I always did well competing on a National level. When I first started, I never thought I would ever be good enough to one day become a Pro. I felt as though I had accomplished such a feat and had finally become one of the girls I used to sit and watch at the shows.

Q: I was their watching and when they announced you won, you seemed really surprised or shocked. Is that an accurate statement?
A: Absolutely. I try to be a very humble person and going from 93 pounds and not a prayer in the world of gaining anything to having my name called with "your new IFBB Pro" preceding it was mind blowing.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: My first show was the Florida Gold Cup in 2000. After that I did the Hurricane Bay and did all National shows after that such as the JR Nationals, USA's, Nationals, and Master's Nationals.


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My back.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise.
A: Not really, I enjoy training everything.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 5 days a week. My diet is pretty much the same on and off season, I just eat more or less according to whichever it is.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Equal. I get a lot of each. Some people love it and really admire and understand the hard work that goes into it. However, some people snicker and assume the worst. Doesn't bother me because I do it for myself and no one else.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How much can you bench?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: No matter how I look on the outside, I am still the same person I was on the inside. I wish people didn't judge me by what they see on the exterior and actually took the chance to see who I really am.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best would have to be the gratification of being one step closer to achieving my goal of doing my next show. The worst would be having to fall onto the toilet after training legs. Lol.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Well, since Debi Laszewski is my trainer, I would definitely have to say her.


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Sushi and chocolate cake.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't ever give up.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym training as hard as men?
A: Yes, absolutely.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love the beach, spending time with my boyfriend, and my daughter.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Beth Wachter.
A: Wake up at 4, at the gym at 5 to do my cardio, back home to shower and eat breakfast, back to the gym to train, and back home to shower and nap. Cooking lots of food throughout the day.

Q: Describe Beth Wachter in five words
A: Honest, Trustworthy, Loyal, Humble, Loving, and Hardworking. (I know you said 5 but my daughter made me put that in there.)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am VERY modest.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan on doing the Tampa Bay Pro in 2011. However, I just had surgery on my shoulder the 22nd of December, so, we'll see how that goes. Plans may change.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I just want to say thank you to the people I don't even know that have supported me on my journey.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Beth Wachter the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love to have sponsors. They would be getting my heart every time I step into the gym and onto the stage. My Facebook page would probably be the easiest way to get in touch with me.


Q: Beth, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Congrats on your recent success. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much! And thank you for asking me to do this interview!

1 comment:

  1. Beth is a true Blessing in her grace, kindness, humility, and authenticity of her person. A World-Class Person & Athlete she is! An Inspiration. I wannabe body-builder. AH

    ReplyDelete