Sunday, January 9, 2011

Marissa Alkire Interview


My favorite thing about doing these interviews is when I get the opportunity to interview someone who has great potential to go really far in competing or fitness modeling. Someone people may not yet be familiar with. Gives me a chance to maybe bring some attention to a person with huge potential. In Marissa Alkire I believe I have someone with huge potential to go far in both competing and fitness modeling. Marissa really has that potential, and with a great team around her, there is no doubt she will live up to that potential.





Q: First, Marissa, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, thank you.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well I’m a personal trainer and work the desk at a local gym in a small town in Sc and love every minute of it. My family is my biggest fans. I consider my mother, father, and my uncle to be my best friends. I can be a girly girl but don’t get me wrong it doest bother me a bit to get dirt under my nails. I love sports, cars, and any type of competition.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I have always been interested in sports. I danced for a short time when I was little but once I got a basketball in my hands I threw away the dance shoes and cute little outfits out and from there on it was tennis shoes and jerseys. I played sports all through high school and continued in college where I ran track and played volleyball.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was introduced to the gym simply by working out for sports. I always knew I wanted to stay around the gym for a career so I went to school and graduated with a BS in Physical Fitness Programming. Now I basically live in the gym with working and training.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: The working out was easy for me because I have done it so much, yet when I starting training it was hard because the dedication is so high for the sport. I felt like I seen some results after a few months but I really seen them when I see my pictures from my competition. The dieting part is the hardest for me because I love food!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I never even paid attention to the sport until I met my best friend Mandy. She was in the beginning of her training for her first competition and the more I talked to her about it the more I wanted to try it. She helped me through everything, from the right workouts, to posing, and even letting me use her suit.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: The supported me from the beginning but I think they felt like it would be a one time thing. My mom went with me to my first competition and I believe she is more into than me. They all know how serious this is to me and it’s a new life style and they ask about how my workouts are going on a daily basis. They even bought me a weekend retreat with Jenn Hendershott for Christmas, but before I could get it they put me through a work out.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I really didn’t know what to expect, I was worried about two things one were the girls going to be mean and two was I going to be to nervous to get on stage. I was surprised that I was completely wrong, the girls were awesome and I wasn't nervous at all.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I have only competed in one competition so far and that was the Big Shott Classic. I’m in training now for my first competition of the New Year which is he Palmetto Cup in May. I plan to do about four or so shows this year.


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A:I would have to say either my back or legs.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: My favorite thing to train is easily my back and biceps.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Break down workouts such as back and bi’s, chest and tri’s, shoulders, and legs. Core about three times a week and a little bit of cardio four times a week. The diet is protein, protein, protein. I am looking forward to starting a new diet and workout this season while I working with the Dream Team coached by two awesome competitors themselves Jim and Mo Newman.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I feel that it is more positive, they always seem to be interested.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: “That seems so unhealthy” You hear this a lot when you’re cutting and close to competition and people start seeing the changes in the way your body looks.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we are not starving ourselves we are eating clean and not harming our bodies with what we eat and how much we work out.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part and seeing the results and knowing that I’m in shape, the worst is the diet.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Jessica Putnam is my favorite competitor.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Snickers or Cookout

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: That the dedication can be hard but stay motivated, you are your biggest fan.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training as hard as men in the gym?
A: I think is it becoming more accepted. I’m sure there are still people who don’t agree with it. I love when me and my friend our training and we are the only girls lifting and not on the treadmill. We get a whole new respect from the guys at the gym.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I just like to hangout with friends and family.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Marissa Alkire.
A: At the gym at 8am to workout with Mandy (NPC Competitor) protein and lunch, run some errands then back at the gym at 4 to work. On Friday, Saturday and Sundays, gym in the morning and then take the free time I have to catch up with friends, go out to eat, or visit my family.

Q: Describe Marissa Alkire in five words.
A: Dedicated, Fun, Energetic, Loving, Crazy,

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I use to box in high school.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Working with the Dream Team (Jim and Mo Newman and with Jenn Hendershott at her phitness retreat) Work hard and stay focused.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I do some modeling for Stingray Boats and local boutiques and would love to expand my career as fitness model.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Marissa Alkire the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love to get sponsors. I am highly dedicated to this sport and anything I do. I work hard and always have a positive attitude. I would represent any sponsor in the best way possible. I have fallen in love with this sport and this is my lifestyle till I can’t even lift a weight. Anyone can contact me at FitnessWorldMarissa@gmail.com

Q: Marissa, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Just want to say thank you for letting me have the opportunity to do this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment