Friday, January 28, 2011

Mindy Karuk Interview


Anyone who does what I do has that "list". The couple people they would LOVE to interview. Could be for a variety of reasons. One person who has loooong been on my "list" is Mindy Karuk. Mindy is a beautiful woman with an incredible physique who whether it is on stage or doing a photo shoot always looks amazing. But there is a lot more to Mindy than that. Mindy is a driven hard working passionate person. When you have a bad opinion of the fitness industry, take a look and learn about Mindy, she is a reminder of what is good about this industry.





Q: First, Mindy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you so much for asking me!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well I'm originally from small town Dauphin Manitoba, I grew up there with my Mom, Dad and older brother. I was enrolled in a Ukrainian School and began speaking Ukrainian, English and French as a child. When I graduated I moved to Winnipeg Manitoba by myself at the age of 17. Always being known as the artistic one, I set out on a path of becoming a Graphic Designer. I found my true love in the Health and Fitness Industry and have been following that passion! I also work as a Makeup Artist.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I always had a love for sports, but never indulged. At the time due to being bullied in my childhood, it stripped away my confidence to play sports and have courage to. I enjoyed things I could do on my own like riding my bike and rollerblading. Back then, that was how I kept active!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: At the time I never put a finger on what was the cause of my habits. I later learned to recognize that what in fact I was doing was being an emotional eater. Stressed, depressed or worried. I would turn to food for comfort. I still lived a mostly sedentary life and those poor eating habits were starting to take shape in the form of an unfit body, void of muscle tone and strength. I had always wanted to workout and lift weights. One night it was some thing that just snapped in my head, I marched into a gym and basically never looked back.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I picked up training fairly easy in the sense that I had followed my preliminary session given to me by my gym's personal trainer, but I didn't know to change it up. I was so determined for change and results that I was over training in the beginning! I'd be in the gym for 3 hours just grinding away! I started to see the results within 6 months and i slowly watched my pant size lower, new trips to the store for new pants was happening and I couldn't have been happier!


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: To help augment my results, I frequently purchased fitness magazines like Oxygen, Flex, and Muscle and Fitness. Seeing the competitors featured in there was inspiring!! I admired the discipline and the sculpted bodies that displayed on stage, I knew it was something I had to try! I started off small though with local bikini competitions, those led to National Bikini competitions! After placing well and gaining back my confidence, I took it to the next level and entered a locally sanctioned amateur show in the figure division! I bought tapes of the Ms. Olympia show to learn how to do my quarter turns and practiced them every night!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Absolutely 110%!! My Mom, Dad and family has supported my dreams so much! They can see the passion I have for it, and they truly have my back! My friends are amazing! They all understand that I can't always come out, or go drinking. It makes it so much easier! I'm truly blessed to have such an amazing support system!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I can most definitely say it's what I had expected! Competing isn't about any one but yourself, it's beating your previous best. It's giving your all with no excuses!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
~WBFF World Championships 10th Place Fitness Diva
~WBFF BC Championships 2010 4th Place Bikini Diva, Top 10 Fitness Diva
~2010 Finalist in the Iron Man Bodybuilding.com BodySpace Spokesmodel Search TOP 5
~WBFF Alberta Championships Top 10 Diva Fitness Model Top 10 Diva Bikini Model 2009
~FAME North American Championships Nov 2007 3rd Place Pro Fitness
Model, 3rd Place Pro Bikini Model
~FAME Online Swimsuit Competition 4th Place
~FAME Worlds Fitness Model Pro Show
~FAME Great White North Championships 1st Place Fitness Model and overall earning Pro Fitness Model Status
~MABBA Figure Novice 5th 2005
~Miss Hawaiian Tropics Canada Top 20 Finalist
~Miss Wild on Winnipeg 2005
~Miss Cycle World 2005
~Miss Molson Indy Vancouver 2004 Top 10
~Miss Molson Indy Winnipeg 2004
~Miss SUNshine 2003
~Miss Bartercard Molson Indy 2002 7th
~Miss Molson Indy Winnipeg 2002


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I am a fan of my back and shoulders! My abs are in my best shape ever after getting help from my wonderful boyfriend Chris!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I love training my back, but I have learned you have to love to train each body part with the same love! It's no coincidence the parts you love are often the best on your body, learn to love training them all and then you will see the change!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I leave everything up to my trainer! With constant feed back and touch bases we tweak everything that needs it and leave things be that don't! I usually train on a 5 day split and have had contest diets that only had two rice cakes for carbs, or still allowing slow burning carbs! The body changes as you get older so it doesn't hurt to try something different, and tweak it way before competition time!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It's always been positive, sometimes people will tell me not to get "too buff" but I usually laugh it off. I'm not in the business of getting too buff. Nor do I train to. I focus on aesthetic muscle mass and symmetry.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Nothing really gets old for me, I know a lot of people don't know or understand the world of competing so I'm always happy to share info and educate!


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we're all not on steroids. lol

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best is meeting new people and constantly improving your body! There are so many "bests"! I'd say the worst part of training is getting in enough sleep! I usually keep late hours, but rest is important so sometimes it's hard to convince myself to just GO to BED!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I had the honor of being room mates with the amazing Erin Stern for the Bodybuilding.com Spokesmodel Search. From there on out she's been a good friend and a constant source of inspiration for me! Jamie Eason is one of the most humble fitness personalities I have met! She gives me words of encouragement when I need to hear it and is a person of integrity! Monica Brant and fellow WBFF Competitor was one of the competitors I had always seen in the magazines when I was first starting out, since meeting her in person she lives up to the status of "Icon", humble, kind!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I am a sucker for my Mom's perogies!!! I love chocolate too!


Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Hire a trainer!!

Q: Which do you prefer, competing or photo shoots?
A: Both offer great personal achievement! I think setting a goal of doing a shoot is a great way for those who are wanting to have something to work towards and look great! Competing tests yourself mentally and pushes you to new boundaries. Both are a way to have fun and become another person, on the stage or in front of the lens!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love rollerblading along the sea wall with my boyfriend. Checking out new sushi places (there are SO many in Vancouver!), checking out Grouse Grind, or just chillin on the beach!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Mindy Karuk.
A: Wake up, am cardio, eat brekky and get my meals packed into my 6 pack bag, go to work, come home, hit the gym, answer emails and some online stuff!

Q: Describe Mindy Karuk in five words.
A: Positive, Loyal, Trustworthy, Ambitious, Driven

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I can spin fire (poi), other than that nothing really out of the ordinary....I think! LOL

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I will be competing this May for the WBFF BC Championships! I'm currently working on developing my website further and will be releasing an ebook! I have several other things that I am in the works with but cannot divulge any info yet!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I'd like to take this opportunity to say THANKS! Thank you to my loved ones in my life, my bf, my parents. I have amazing people in my life. Thank you to those who tell me I am their inspiration, for it's those people that also help inspire me to be my best and to push forward. To My Sponsor Magnum Nutraceuticals, SmartShake, LegareWear, Minx Tanning these people believe in me and my hard work, I'm happy and ecstatic to be partnered up with some of the best companies in the world!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Mindy Karuk the athlete and competitor?
A: I stand for honor, integrity and an all around hard working athlete. The amount of work I put into my training and goals is equal to how hard I work and promote the companies that stand behind me. I have a solid presence online through various sites and if this is something that you think your company can benefit from and can be a win win situation please feel free to contact me at info@mindykaruk.com


Q: Mindy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Not a problem at all! Thank you again for asking me!! All the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment