Sunday, February 20, 2011

Brea Sharron Interview


First time I saw a photo of Brea Sharron I was beyond impressed. I was blown away. In that picture I saw a beautiful woman with a great physique. She has a great package, highlighted by great legs/glutes. And if there is such a thing as "born to be a fitness model" than Brea is the person who fits that. Turns out she has the attitude and personality to match. This is one of those times where I feel I am introducing a future star in the industry to people. So I am very excited to post my Brea Sharron Interview.





Q: First, Brea, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, Thank you!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well, lets see here, I'm a born and raised Carolina girl, who has yet to meet a stranger. Oh and I should probably warn ya'll I really think I am quite the comedian, I love to make everyone around me smile but most of the time I'm the only one laughing. Anyways, I'm a personal trainer and dance teacher, I love my spoiled rotten Sheltie Bella Grace dearly an I am extremely close to my family. I admire both of my parents for everything they have not only accomplished personally but for the values, love and support they have instilled in my younger brother Christian and I.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Actually I am rather accident prone... I dislocated a finger playing volleyball in middle school gym class, I sprained my knee playing soccer in high school gym, sprained an ankle playing tennis with my mom, but my most proud injury was in the 5th grade when I sneezed and ran my bike into a fire hydrant and managed to fracture my foot pretty nicely ... Ironically I've been a classical dancer (along with jazz, hip hop, modern, tap and pointe) for over 20 years though and was on the high school swim team because it was the only sport I had time for with the amounts of dance classes I took and taught.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: After having to take time off from my dancing after an accident, I couldn't go without some type of physical activity, so I started lifting to keep certain parts of my body isolated to avoid neck pain. I loved the way it made me feel accomplishing small lifting goals and they way my body was changing. I continued to lift even when I returned to dancing/teaching dance.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes and no, before I became a trainer I had no clue what I was really doing or why I was doing it, but I enjoyed it. Then with the proper knowledge (which is always being added to) I really began to first "feel" results, I was happier and felt better almost immediately but it was a couple months of heavier lifting to begin "seeing" results.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Basically I just met the right people at the right time who kept telling me I should try to do a show, and I got to thinking I really just want to see if I CAN do this. So I gave it a shot, competed in my first show (which also was the first show I ever attended) won and have been hooked ever since!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported
A: I am lucky for the most part yes, however, they do not like it when I am dieting and do not have my carbs though... plus my "potty breaks" get annoying, but yes most of them understand I do this because I love it, and my mom even started to hide all the chocolate in her house so I'll come back over to visit.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I had no idea what to expect I had never even attended a show, but I was surprised how much fun it was and how encouraging and supportive everyone would be!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
*NPC Victory in the Valley June 2010: 1st Overall
*NPC Upstate Classic July 2010: 1st Overall
*NPC Excalibur August 2010
*IFBB North Americans September 2010
*NPC Nationals October 2010
*NPC Muscle Elite Classic Nov 2010


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Legs, I have a love/hate relationship with training them though.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training glutes, there is nothing like waking up the next day knowing you kicked your own butt... literally!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I always try to switch things up so I don't hit plateaus in my training as far as specifics go I always lift a different body part and do cardio a minimum of 5 sessions a week each until just a few weeks out when I add in more cardio sessions which always vary in length, pace and machine. My diet stays pretty much clean year round except between Thanksgiving and New Years where I am quite the disaster... I do small meals every 3ish hours with lean protein and low hypoglycemic carb sources, such as the usual bodybuilding staples, chicken, egg whites, tuna, oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Contest prep I take out my "cheat meals" drop my carbs and fats down (which mainly are nut sources) and raise protein levels slowly but surely.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most of the time it's positive, normally I get something more along the lines of "wow, that's awesome, that must take a lot of dedication", or simply "you look great."

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "What do you eat?" I mean really, I eat 7 meals a day, do you really want me to rattle it all off?


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Only one? We don't do this because we want to get guys, or because we are "vain or insecure" we do this because we LOVE it. We love the hard work, we love the dedication it takes, we like to push ourselves to the limits, and we like to get stronger. Mainly we just love to improve ourselves!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is by far just the feeling you get walking out of the gym after a great workout, when you're drenched in sweat, the endorphins are going crazy, you are proud of yourself for doing that extra few reps, going up in weight, or just simply for being able to finish your workout. The worst part is just finding the time and energy to go to the gym day in and day out once, twice or even 3 times... but specifically early morning cardio.... ugh!


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Nicole Nagrani- She is so beautiful, cute and sweet. She has accomplished so much at such a young age, and always brings the total package!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Yes, all of them. Haha, well probably pizza or ice cream, but cinnamon rolls are right up there too, oh wait and pretty much anything chocolate.... but dark chocolate... anti oxidants right?

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: GIVE IT A SHOT! Who knows you might love it, but you'll never know if you don't try! Training has literally changed my life and made me 10 times happier, healthier and a better person all around. If I can not only train but compete with scoliosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia and a minor, rare type of spinabifidia, then anyone can!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: I sure hope so, I know in my gym the women who do venture off the cardio equipment mainly stick to machines as opposed to free weights but I do believe there is a change starting to take place showing women they can lift without "bulking up."

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Of course dancing, and like any girl shopping (if I "power shop" I consider it cardio) but I always love to be on the water, it's just so relaxing, I have recently become a big fan of cooking and creating new healthy recipes or creating healthier versions of my favorites.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Brea Sharron?
A: Wake up, try to convince myself to actually get out of the bed and do my morning cardio (this normally takes a good 10-15min) then finally get up and do it
Cook and eat breakfast, or do a grab a protein shake
Run my morning personal training clients
Back home to cook lunch, answer emails clean up my messes from dishes/ laundry, etc.
Back to the gym for afternoon cardio and/or lifting
Eat again
Run my afternoon/evening clients
If I didn't have time to lift in the afternoon I grab a shake and then lift
Back home to cook and eat again
Relax for a bit, then try to head to bed by midnight so I can be up nice and early to do it all over again!

Q: Describe Brea Sharron in five words.
A: Spunky, sarcastic (in case anyone hasn't already picked up on this) compassionate, spontaneous, and blonde

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
AL I am very very feisty! I may look like David but I'll take on Goliath! I'm a go getter, I love to train my clients "drill sargent style," I'm rather loud for standing only 5 feet tall, I don't take "crap" from anyone, and don't you dare mess with my friends! I'm fiercely loyal to them!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Right now I plan on doing the North Carolina State show in April, then headed to Charleston in May for the Jr. USAs. From there I would love to hit a few more shows but right now that's all my finances allow for, but keeping my fingers crossed to add a few more shows, or sponsors to help out a bit!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: SILVERBACK KREW! A very fashionable (lots of bling for the ladies) clothing and accessory line, created by a great friend of mine, "In Pursuit of Perfection." Check them out at www.silverbackkrew.com and make sure to take a peek at the calendar, you might just recognize Miss September :)
And thank you to EVERYONE part of the North Carolina NPC, nothing but encouragement, support, professionalism and kind words. You guys are the best hands down!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Brea Sharron the athlete and competitor?
A: YES! pretty pretty please! Lol, I didn't quite realize what an expensive sport I got into!
Find me on facebook (Brea Sharron) or shoot me an email at twinkletoez987@gmail.com, or find me on my website at www.flexiblefitness.mfbiz.comAs for what you get with me, THE TOTAL PACKAGE, lol! I am a very hard worker, I am not asking for a free ride for anything, I would rather work for it, get me to work a booth, get me to do print or promo work, and count on me keeping my word! I'm always smiling and never met a stranger, feel confident I will respect you and your company to the fullest extent. I know my stuff, and if I don't I do my research and I've got experience as a personal trainer as well as a competitor, and I stay "in shape" year round so I'm always ready!


Q: Brea, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Proverbs 3:5-8: "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on thy own understanding. In all ways acknowledge he and he shall light thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy body and strength to thy bones"
I am so very blessed and thankful to the Lord to have let me make it as far as I have, and I get to do what I love every day! I love how rewarding it is to test your limits, find your strengths, improve your weaknesses, discover what you can accomplish, and meet people who keep you inspired along the way. As well as the wonderful support of my coaches (J. and Amy) friends (especially the best friend anyone could ever ask for and who is with me every step of the way, Miss Tonya) and family who not only keep up when I'm feeling down but keep me focused and grounded. I can't wait to see what is next for me and be able to prove, NEVER let anything stop you from reaching your dreams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment