Sunday, February 20, 2011

Heather Mancini Interview


After not placing in her first show, Heather Mancini refers to it as a "wake up call". Well she obviously answered that call, because she has done very well since then and as you can tell by her photos, she looks incredible. Now a member of Team Bombshell, she can only get better, which makes Heather Mancini someone to keep an eye on as 2011 could be a huge year for her.






Q: First Heather, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am 38 years old and I have always lived in Michigan, I attended Ferris State University and have my degree in Optometry, and minored in Speech Communications. I currently work for an Ophthalmology practice. I studied Gemology from the Gemological Institute of America and have my Colored stone and Diamond Certification. I am married and have 2 boys, ages 3 and 6. As far as hobbies, I scuba dive, ski, collect gems and minerals, and pretty much enjoy anytime outdoors.

Q: Before the gym were you especially athletic? Play any sports?
A: Well lets see, I started gymnastics when I was 5, and competed until I was about 13 years old, but I got injured so that ended that for me. I ran track through Jr. High and high school, and was even on the dive team for a year in high school.
When I got out of college, I kept skiing, and scuba diving. I was a competitive archer and I took many aerobic classes.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: After college, I wasn't in any organized sports anymore and felt kinda lost, so I joined a gym. Then I decided to enter some Venus Swimwear competitions, so I really needed to be in shape. Which I did very well in I might add :)

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Training was something I picked up fairly easily. The hard part for me though was the strict diet. I didn't like the fact that if I had a craving for something I couldn't have it. ( well I could of ate it but then it would work against my goals) As far as how long it took to see results it wasn't very long for me, but I attribute that to my many years of sports.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: That's kind of funny how I decided to compete... My husband bought an issue of Flex magazine and I picked it up to read it and that's when I saw an article about a new NPC fitness division called the bikini division, and it sounded like something that really fit my personality. Then, I found out Nicole Wilkins also lived in Michigan right by me, and she helped me get started.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: As far as my family being supportive, my husband is so supportive, he helps me train, keeps me motivated, and helps me behind the scenes at my competitions. My parents on the other hand have a hard time grasping the idea. As far as my friends, they think what I am doing is great and I get asked all the time if I can be their personal trainer.


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: Well when I did my first show I didn't really know what to expect, It was a learning experience. There is actually a lot that goes into getting ready for a show, so that surprised me. Like your suit selection, accessories, hair, make up, your spray tan, how you present yourself on stage, and how fit you really need to be.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Love to share my contest history:
My first show I didn't even place, wake up call...
Second show I placed third
Fourth show I placed 1st, and won overall
Fifth show I did a National show in Pittsburgh and placed 6th
Sixth show I placed 1st

Q: What would you consider your best body part?
A: My abs :)

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: That's a hard question to pick one, because I like to work my abs and legs.

Q: What is your normal training routine like?
A: I go to the gym at least 5 to 6 days a week, do cardio daily, I pick a body part to work on for that day, and can't forget to eat healthy small portioned meals every three hours.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, whats the most common reaction?
A: When someone finds out for the first time I compete, if they aren't into following the competitions or competitors, they look at me like a deer in headlights and pretend they have a clue what I'm talking about. It's kinda funny seeing the look on there face trying to figure it out. Then I have to explain what the bikini division is and they say oh that's cool.
Now if I talk to someone who has contact with the sport, I get that's awesome..Keep it up, you look great.


Q: When they see it that first time, whats the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: I Don't really get sick of answering any ones questions

Q: Whats the biggest misconception about women who train and compete, or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: One thing I wish more people understood, is that all of us girls have goals and a dream in mind, weather you are in the fitness, figure, bodybuilding or bikini division, we ALL work hard in the gym to obtain our goals.

Q: Whats the best and worst part of training?
A: The best part of training for me is seeing the results. The worst part of training is the amount of time you have to dedicate to the gym.

Q: Any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: Well I admire anyone who steps out on to the stage, my Bombshell sistas, and especially Jessica Jessie who has been very supportive in helping me obtain my goals.

Q: DO you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I sure do have a favorite cheat food!! PIZZA!!!!!!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, whats the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her to find a personal trainer to help her get started, and don't quit when you are so sore you can barely move. :) It only gets better.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common for women to use the weights as opposed to just cardio?
A: I think it is more common for women to pick up weights now. Helps with toning.

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Well I used to have other hobbies, but the gym has taken over....LOL

Q: Describe a typical day in the life of Heather Mancini.
A: A typical day for me is to go to work, pick the kids up from school, take care of them, then off to the gym....

Q: Describe Heather Mancini in five words.
A: Outgoing, determined, energetic, reliable, and ambitious

Q: Whats one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I really don't know....

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything?
A: Well in January I joined up with Team Bombshell, I plan on doing a local/ regional show to start out the year, and then hit the National stage this spring.

Q: Anything you want to plug or promote?
A: Any girls planning to compete, should really check out Team Bombshell! Rob and Shannon are wonderful and all the girls are so supportive of each other. It has been one of the best decisions I have made to help me obtain my goals.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are the getting in Heather Mancini?
A: Yes!!! I can be reached by email, thatsjustwrongh21@yahoo.com or through my facebook page. I am a very dedicated and hard working athlete. I have a passion for this industry and love to promote anything that helps contribute to this sport.

Q: Heather, again thanks for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Good luck and have fun to anyone who ventures into the NPC world. And thank you for this opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now.

    muscular women bodybuilders

    ReplyDelete