Wednesday, February 9, 2011

IFBB Pro Tammy Patnode Interview


IFBB Pro. Those words enough should tell you what Tammy Patnode has accomplished. Tammy started competing at age 30 to "see if she could do it". Well she not only did it, but she became one of the elite in the sport. Tammy is an interview I have wanted for awhile. I think the true sign of a great competitor is the respect she gets from other competitors, and Tammy gets and deserves great respect from others competitors. I am honored to give you my interview with Tammy Patnode.





Q: First, Tammy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I live in upstate NY in the adirondack mountains. I am an only child and very close to my parents. I have married for 11 years, own my own salon. I have been doing hair for 22+ years.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Not really. I went to catholic school and the sports program were non existent. when I finally got to high school I was more focused on working and boys:)

Q: what initially led you into the gym?
A: I was a chubby kid and started taking aerobic classes my freshman year of high school. The next year I found the weight room.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I think I was in a gym a while really just spinning my wheels. I had no knowledge and just did machines. It wasn't till I was about 20 and started looking at fitness magazines that I started to see results.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Turning 30 freaked me out~ I needed a distraction and wanted to see if I could do it.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes. My mother cried when I got my pro card. Even though they know nothing of the sport they see how hard I work and respect that.

Q: You earned your Pro card at the 2009 North Americans. What did winning it mean to you personally?
A: It was surreal. When I heard my named called I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I am honored to be part of such an elite organization.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I started competing in 2001 in various natural organizations. In 06 I joined the NPC and qualified for nationals the same year.
06: Jr nationals LW 3rd. 07: Jr USA overall, nationals 3rd 08: nationals 2nd 09: north Americans pro card. LW winner and master LW winner. 10 Hartford europa 13th

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I'd say calves and I never have trained them.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I would have to say quad training is my favorite..love me some hacks!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My training split doesn't change on or off season. It goes like this: Monday, chest/bis tues: quads/bis thurs: back width fri: hams/delts sun: back thickness. I eat clean year round but off season I add fruit dairy and things like whole wheat wraps and non fast cheese.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I never hear negative comments (at least to my face!). Mostly people want to know how I train and what goes into it.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How much do you lift!?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That I am aggressive and like to fight. I couldn't punch my way out of a paper bag~

Q: What are your thoughts on the new Women's Physique division?
A: I think its wonderful. I am very excited to watch the national shows this year and see how this new category looks.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Zoa Linsey who is also a good friend of mine. We won our pro cards together and I think she is a positive spokesperson for the sport.


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Burgers and anything sweet.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Be patient. Results take time.

Q: You have a great website. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there?
A: Thanks. Its www.tammypatnode.com. It needs to be updated! You can also LIKE me on face book at tammy patnode ifbb pro

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I am a home body. I love spending time with my hubby and my dog. I love living where I do because it is my play ground. I love snow shoeing, skiing hiking. I also am a moderator at RX muscle.com.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Tammy Patnode.
A: Boring! I am up at 5, eat train, walk my dog, then off to work, home, prep food, return emails, and hang with my husband and doggie before I crash at 9 and do it all over again~

Q: Describe Tammy Patnode in five words.
A: Oh boy,,,,hmmmm Loyal, Trustworthy, Passionate, Respectable and Inpatient!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am adopted.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am getting ready to start prep for the Toronto super show in June.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Buy Species! And I am being sponsored for my suits this year by suits by Amy.

Q: You are obviously a Species athlete, but are you looking for additional sponsors? A: I am so lucky to be with Species. not just because I love the products but I love the people with the company. I am always looking for other sponsors.


Q: Tammy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. It is a huge honor for me. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you Jason for asking. Last words? stay true to yourself and never do anything you wouldn't want your daddy to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment