Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sarah Maloy Interview


This is where I usually give an intro and describe the person being interviewed. But Sarah Maloy in this interview, did an amazing job of describing herself.She clearly expresses her love for MMA, training, and family. She clearly is someone who works hard to continue to evolve and improve. 2-0 as a pro, I think we can expect big things from Sarah in the sport.





Q: First Sarah, thanks for taking the time to do this.
A: Your welcome. Thank you for having me!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am 28 years old. I have 3 children. Jeaden is 7, Paige is 3, and Tanner is 2. I am a very proud mother, it is my most favorite job! I am a personal trainer and the owner of BodyTech MMA and BodyTech Nutrition. I am very passionate about exercise and nutrition. I am probably the busiest person you will ever meet, lol.

Q: Growing up, were you especially athletic? Play any sports?
A: I was extremely athletic. I started dance and softball at 3 years old, started basketball in grade school, and added track in jr high. In high school I did a little competitive cheerleading, made it to state finals in track 3 years, made all tournament, all area, and all state honorable mention in basketball, and still hold the homerun record in softball. Five up at bats…five consecutive homeruns. I also played college basketball for Murray State and then danced for East Central University. After college I became a runner and played on an independent womens basketball team, the Oklahoma Hoopsters, and traveled to tournaments all over the state. Then I found MMA!

Q; What initially got you training for MMA?
A: I was pregnant with my second child and watching a lot of TV. I started watching this reality show called “Fight Girls”. It peaked my interest to say the least. I have to admit that I tapped pillow cushions to my ironing board and started doing Muay Thai drills in my living room. Not long after that I saw Gina Corano fight on tv and was like oh snap…I wanna do that! I had my baby and started training. There wasn’t a gym that did anything close to MMA where I live, so I started watching the local youth wrestling practice, rolling with the coaches and working stand up on my own. Who knew that 3 years later I would own my own gym, lol.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: I picked up wrestling and JJ really quickly. Stand up took a little more work and proved to be more of a cardiovascular challenge. It helps that I really love doing all of it and that I am extremely stubborn. If it is my weakness, I won’t stop until it becomes my strength.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: I had played around on my own for a while and actually had a fight scheduled, then I got pregnant with my 3rd child. I was determined to fight within 6 months of childbirth, so I worked with my doctor and tried to stay in shape so I could start back training as soon as possible. 7 weeks after I gave birth and a week after surgery, I got a call to fight at the Super Dome in New Orleans in 45 days. To be the first fights ever in the Super Dome was the opportunity of a life time and I refused to pass it up. I had 45 days to lose 35 pounds and get my body ready for my first battle. I started training on my own, then 2 weeks in I met my trainer and future husband. He took on teaching me as much as he could in a month. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, physically and mentally.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: It’s not the easiest thing to be cute and a fighter. People question your decision and motives on a regular basis. Over time, I have been lucky enough to surround myself with a great support system that includes my family, friends, and many more.

Q: Where do you train at?
A: I train at my gym, BodyTech MMA in Ada, OK.


Q: Whats your current record?
A: I am 2-0 as a Pro fighter. I was 0-1 as an ammy. I have also competed in a couple of NAGA grappling tournaments and brought back medals both times.

Q: Is their one fight you are most proud of?
A: I think I am most proud of my first Pro fight. I managed to work 2 jobs, raise 3 kids, and train my butt off all at the same time. I was considered the underdog and was even told to my face by the promoter that he really liked me and hoped I would win but didn’t think I would. I was ready to deliver an upset. We stood up the first minute or so, and she even caught me with a good punch. After I took her to the ground, it was my game. I was the stronger fighter and it felt good. I won by Rear Naked Choke 4:52 of round 1.

Q: Whats your biggest strength and the thing you most want to improve?
A: I have worked extremely hard to become a well rounded fighter. If I have a weakness, I work on it until it’s not anymore.

Q: Whats the one fight you saw that you will always remember?
A: Randy Couture taking the title from Tim Silvia. I loved every minute of it.


Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: I am a fan of so many fighters, it’s hard to pick just one. I do love to watch Forrest Griffin. He puts it all out there and doesn’t mind taking punishment in the process. Plus, he cracks me up!

Q: In your opinion who are the top five female fighters right now?
A: Cyborg, Sarah Kaufman, Megumi Fujii, Tara LaRosa, and Marloes Coenen. Not in any special order.

Q: DO you ever see a U.S all women's promotion being viable?
A: Absolutely. The sport is evolving and it is just a matter of time.

Q: Often on a show that has one women's fight, that fight ends up being the most exciting one. Why is that?
A: I think that the fights are as exciting as the men’s because most often, the women have to train with men. It wasn’t until I opened my gym that I got the opportunity to train with a fellow female.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we can’t do it all. I am here to prove that you can be a good wife, mother, business owner, and fighter all at the same time.


Q: If another woman told you she wanted to stat training, whats the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Have fun! This sport is amazing. It is constantly evolving and there is always something new to learn. Push your body, test your limits and leave your heart on the mats.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love spending time with my family and friends. When it’s warm outside, your likely to see me running all over town. I love to sing and dance…even though I’m not that great at it. And every Sunday you will find me at church.

Q: Describe a typical day in the life of Sarah Maloy.
A: I wake up at 4:30 and head to the gym to teach my women's cardio kickboxing class, then I head next door to our nutrition shop and start making shakes. My husband relieves me around 7:30 and I go home to get my kiddos ready for school. I have personal training clients throughout the day and fit in a workout in between. If I have some extra time I get to take a nap in the back of the shop with my baby boy. I pick up my girls from school around 3ish. At 6 we close down the shake shop and go back next door to run boot camp, teach evening classes and train again. The best part about it is that my kids get to be there with me. My oldest 2 are little grapplers themselves. Jaeden has never been to a tournament without bringing home a medal and Paige will compete in her first tournament this summer.

Q: Whats one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I dance while I train and before every fight! My husband thinks I am crazy, but in the locker room before I work pads…I dance!

Q: Describe Sarah Maloy in five words.
A: Passionate, ornery, stubborn, loving, driven.

Q: Any idea when you will be fighting next?
A: I am fighting March 11th vs Barb Honchak in St. Louis, possibly April 9th for FCF here in Oklahoma, and in May for IWC in Las Vegas. I also have a couple more fights in the works for the summer.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I love my family and friends. Without them, my accomplishment would feel worthless. I would like to give a shout out to BodyTech MMA Grappling Team. They work their butts off to bring home tons of medals! Thank you Doc Simpson for fixing my body when I jack it up! And a special thanks to all my sponsors…Soul Cypher Clothing, Prettier in Ink, Simpson Family Chiropractic, Exfuse and Projekt Label. Saving the best for last…a big, massive, huge thanks to Katrina Belcher and The Ultimate Female Fighter. Katrina, you have played a large part in my path to being successful in the MMA world and I will never forget you!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: Always looking to promote brands and companies that help support MMA! I am a hardworking, dedicated fighter that is going to be a fixture in MMA for a long time to come. You can reach me at sarah@bodytechok.com, or call me at (580)320-0206.


Q: Sarah, again, thanks for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much as well. Just want to tell every female MMA fighter out there to keep on keepin on! Check out our website www.bodytechok.com and find me on Facebook! We gotta stick together :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment