Monday, February 7, 2011

Vanessa Mays Interview


Thanks to siouxcountry I became aware of Vanessa Mays. I was immediately blown away by her photos. Right away I thought "here is someone who has the potential to be a top competitor and a top fitness model". Vanessa was "The complete package". She plans to compete at the Missouri State show and hopes to get nationally qualified to do North Americans or Nationals. I don't think I am wrong in saying the hope isn't necessary, as I think she is a lock to get it.





Q: First, Vanessa, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem! I'm honored to be a part of your website.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I currently live in Bella Vista, AR with my husband and our 2 dogs. I'm a full-time optician, fitness model, and NPC Bikini competitor.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Absolutely! I was a HUGE tomboy and grew up with 2 older brothers. I played every sport I could get my hands on....even football. I lettered in volleyball, basketball, softball, and track in high school and played collegiate volleyball.


Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I started weight training when I was 12. Being from a small town, I had one coach for volleyball/basketball and when we weren't in season he had us hitting the weight room. After college, I still worked out regularly but not seriously. I met my husband in 2005, and he taught me a lot about weight training...which is when I started training hard-core.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I did pick it up easily since I've always weight trained and been a natural athlete. I started to see results in building lean muscle mass pretty quickly.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I had always admired fitness/figure competitors in magazine but never really thought it was something I could do. My husband is the one who encouraged me to actually go for it.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Sure! Most of them support me; however I think like most people they don't really understand the sacrifices I make.


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I had no clue what to expect! So yes you could say I was surprised by most of it.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2007 - FAS-NET Fitness Model Contest - 4th Place
*2008 - OCB Albuquerque Fitness Model Contest - 1st Place
*2009 - NPC Oklahoma State Bikini - 1st Place tall and Overall
*2009 - NPC USA's Bikini - 16th

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Probably my legs.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training glutes, and my favorite exercise is butt blasters on the lying leg press.....you get on all fours on the floor and place one foot on the knee pad and press up.


Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I weight train 6 days a week and lift mostly heavy. However, I get bored easy so I'm constantly adding different things into my routine like drop sets or tabata training. I also do plyometrics usually 1-2 times per week. Cardio is anywhere from 3-5 days a week....usually 2 days of HIIT and 2-3 days of distance running. Closer to contest I do more plyometrics and do cardio 6 days a week to burn more fat. My diet stays pretty consistent year-round...I just eat clean! Of course I will have a cheat on occasion except close to contest.....then I just really tighten up my diet. I don't do anything drastic like hours of cardio or extremely low-carb/low calorie diets.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I think most people think it's cool, even though they don't really understand exactly what it is I do.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you work out?" Lol!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I have a ton of women ask me for help but say they don't really want to lift weights, they just want to "tone". They don't understand there is no such thing as "toning"!! You either build muscle or you don't!


Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I LOVE training! The feeling I get during/after a workout is amazing. The worst part is just feeling overwhelmed with everything else in life.....my job, my family, my friends.....I feel like I don't have time to do everything I need to.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I've always loved Jamie Eason....she has an amazing physique and has accomplished so much as a model. I also love pro bikini competitors Amanda Latona and Jamie Baird. I feel their physique and presentation are perfect for the bikini division.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I LOVE sweets....so anything chocolate =)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would explain the importance of weight training! And weight training heavy for that matter!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: Maybe....but I think most women are intimidated by weights and therefor don't ever seek out help in that department. It's pretty self-explanatory to run on a treadmill....but you need some guidance when it comes to weights.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to be outdoors, hiking or walking my dogs. I also enjoy wakeboarding and volleyball.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Vanessa Mays.
A: I wake up around 5:45 to get ready for work. Leave around 7:30 and work from 8-5. After work I hit the gym and usually get home around 7:30-8:00 pm. When I get home, I eat my final meal, check emails/facebook/blogs and unwind with my husband for a bit. I'm almost always in bed by 10:00...I gotta have my sleep!

Q: Describe Vanessa Mays in five words.
A: Dedicated, Upbeat, Talkative, Silly, Regimented

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: My husband's nickname for me is Fatty. lol!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm competing in July at the Missouri State show in hopes to get my national qualifier. If I get that, I'll either do the North Americans or Nationals. I also have several modeling gigs set for this spring/summer.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I want to thank my sponsor, NRG-X Labs for providing me with quality supplements. You can visit their website at www.nrgxlabs.com for more info.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Vanessa Mays the athlete and competitor?
A: I have a supplement sponsor, but I would love to add additional sponsors from either the fitness attire or swimwear avenue.

Q: Vanessa, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you Jason! I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment