Monday, May 9, 2011

Khay Rosemond Interview


I could sit here and type forever about Khay Rosemond the competitor. But the pictures say it all. Khay is a beautiful woman with a great physique and stage presence. So instead I want to talk about Khay Rosemond the person. When I first started training a little over a year ago, Khay was so supportive and encouraging and ready with advice when I needed it. She did this for no other reason than simply being a good person. Khay is someone I think newer competitors can look up to and try and emulate. I have wanted Khay to do an interview for so long and am honored to finally present it.




Q: First, Khay, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Jason thank you very much for considering me for your site.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well, I was born in the Philippines, lived between there, Canada and the USA throughout my childhood. I am currently an NPC Bikini competitor and fitness model.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I played sports all throughout my school years, volleyball, track, basketball etc. I actually was a point guard on my high school basketball team at 4’11” LOL!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Aside from playing sports which was my first contact with the gym, I was involved in a serious accident which required me to do intense physical therapy which consisted of weight training to help rebuild my muscles. While doing physical therapy I loved the changes I saw in my body and continued to workout in the gym even after I was finished with my physical therapy.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes it was and because of my genetics I saw results rather quickly.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I purchased an Oxygen Magazine with Monica Brandt on the cover and was intrigued by her physique. In the magazine I noticed the coverage of all the competitions and felt that it was something that I would enjoy doing. I was involved in “life” if you will and put my plans and goals on hold for a while. It was not until I decided that I needed to be happy that I started to pursue my dreams and goals. In 2007 I made a drastic but necessary change in my life and entered my first competition that same year.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: In the beginning my family wasn’t as supportive as I hoped mainly because they didn’t understand the dieting and the look I was training to achieve. At this stage in my life I am lucky and have a very supportive close net of friends and family.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was what I expected. I knew that it was going to require a lot of focus, dedication and inner strength to achieve the body that I wanted to present on stage. I love it that each show the quality of the physiques seem to get better and better.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I actually started competing in figure in Canada where I competed at the following shows;
•2007 Sandra Wickham Fall Classic – 6th place
•2008 Northern Classics – 2nd place
•2008 BC Provincial Championships – 8th place
I then decided to take a break and heal some nagging injuries, moved to the USA and started competing in the new (at the time) bikini division. The shows were;
•2009 NPC Pacific USA Naturals – 2nd place
•2009 NPC Sacramento – 3rd place
•2010 NPC Emerald Cup – 2nd place
•2010 NPC Orange County Muscle Classic – 1st place & Bikini Overall
•2010 NPC West Coast Classic – 1st place & Bikini Overall
•2010 IFBB North American Championship – 5th place
•2011 IFBB Arnold Amateur Classic Championship – 2nd place


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Haha well I am definitely trying to make my butt my best asset LOL. I think at this point my legs are my best body part.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
I do full body circuits normally but I especially do love to train shoulders with standing shoulder presses and quads with walking weighted lunges.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Here is an example of full body circuit that I do contest prep;
1. Vertical Press • 2 x 25, 1 x 20 and 1 x 15
2. Stiff Leg Dead Lift • 1 x 25, 1 x 20, 2 x 15
3. Hamstring Curls, Lying • 1 x 25, 1 x 20, 2 x 15
4. Leg Extensions • 4 x 15
5. Standing Dumbell Shoulder Presses • 4 x 15
6. Wide Grip Pull-ups (assisted) – 13-15 reps • 4 x 15
7. Dumbbell Arnold Press, with Plie-Squats • 4 x 15
8. Narrow Grip Pulldown • 1 x 25, 1 x 20, 2 x 15
As far as diet I eat pretty clean all year but during contest prep I eat a more regimented plan as follows;
Meal 1: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 whole egg, 5 egg whites
Meal 2: 1.5 scoops whey isolate protein, 1 medium apple
Meal 3: 5 oz. 99% lean ground turkey breast, 1 cup veggies, 4 oz. sweet potato
Meal 4: 1.5 scoops whey protein, 10 almonds
Meal 5: 5 oz. chicken breast, grilled, or 6.5 oz. tilapia, 1 cup veggies, large salad
Meal 6: 1 scoop casein protein, 1/2 cup non-fat cottage cheese

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Outside of the industry it’s equally positive and negative. Half of the people think it’s great and wonder how or what they can do to improve their physiques and live healthier. On the other side there are those that think it is totally unhealthy and think we eat one celery stick to stay in shape. They have no idea how much I actually eat :-)


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: “Wow now you do not have to starve yourself since its over.”

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I guess one of the biggest misconception about women who train is that if you lift weights you are going to be to muscular. Weight lifting is what shapes your body and it is extremely difficult to get “huge”.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part of training is it keeps me healthy and encourages others to live a healthy life style as well. The worst I guess if there is a worst would be during contest prep I am pretty much on lockdown and focused on the task at hand which does not leave a lot of time for any social things, although I am working to create a balance while prepping to remedy that.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Wow, there are so many awesome competitors in the world. I think I look up to everyone that goes to the gym to improve themselves. It takes a lot of courage and strength at times to make a change.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chocolate

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: If I had to give one piece of advice assuming that she is already working out it would be do not neglect your diet and eating clean.


Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Yes. I have been very lucky and have had the opportunity to model and grace the pages of Ironman Magazine, BODY Magazine, IronPinoy etc. I recently did a shoot for Muscular Development Poland so be on the lookout for that, it will be in the May 2011 issue :-).

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Spending time with family and friends, hiking, art…bothering my husband :-)

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Khay Rosemond.
A: I get up early and try to have breakfast with my husband, go the to the gym and train, work, depending on the time (season) I go back to the gym for round two, eat dinner and get ready for bed.

Q: Describe Khay Rosemond in five words.
A: Witty, funny, over-analytical, strong woman. Is that five or five and a half LOL!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a gun license in Canada.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes I am going to for sure do two shows this year, John Lindsay’s California Pro Championship in May and the North American Championship in September. Depending on my placings at those two shows, it determine if I am going to do any other shows for the year.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A; I want to thank my sponsor MAN Sports and my coaches Pete Ciccone and Meriza DeGuzman-Ciccone for being so loving and supportive.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Khay Rosemond the athlete and competitor?
A: Always. I am currently a sponsored athlete for MANSports so as long as it does not conflict with that. Hmm what do you get…A hard worker, a fighter and a person trying to continually better themselves and those around her.
I can be reached at www.khayrosemond.com or on Facebook.

Q: Khay, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. You were one of the first people to really support me and it means so much. Any last words before you go?
A: Jason I have to say thank you because it is a wonderful thing you are doing by supporting all of the women athletes out there. As for everyone else reading this, stay focused and stay thirsty :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you won't guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that gets rid of joint and back pains, anxiety and excessive fat.

    If this "secret" super powerful primal muscle is healthy, you are healthy.

    ReplyDelete