Friday, May 27, 2011

Korie Maxfield Interview


The interview that will always be most special to me is the one with my trainer Danny-J. But this one is probably second. Why? Because it is Korie Maxfield. Partly because we share the same trainer, but also partly because...... well because it's Korie. Korie's story is one of dedication and inspiration. Korie worked her butt off and lost considerable weight. At the suggestion of Danny, she got on stage and looked amazing. Korie Maxfield is someone I am honored to have something in common with, ad we have two things, weight loss and trainer.





Q: First, Korie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You're welcome. I've been wanting to do one of your interviews for a while
now.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Las Vegas, but raised in Utah and most of my family still
lives there. I've been back in Vegas for the last 9 years. Utah is a
beautiful state and nice to visit, but I'm a desert girl at heart and I love
the heat.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A; Growing up, I was in dance for about 10 years and got pretty good at it. I
loved running and racing the boys in grade school, but instead of joining
the Cross Country team in High School, I rebelled and took up smoking. I
smoked off and on for 15 years. About 7 years ago, I quit smoking and
rediscovered my love for running.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It was my trainer, Danny-J, and Max Muscle's Maxformation challenge in 2010.
I was sick of being a fat runner. Despite training for marathons, I was
never able to lose the extra weight until I started training with Danny-J,
AND changed my diet.


Q: Now, some may know, we share the same trainer, Danny-J. How big a role
has she played in your training and what does Danny mean to you?
A: Danny-J is beautiful and amazing and she truly believes in her clients. She
is a great friend and coach and she really knows her stuff. I have always
trusted her.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you
started to see results?
A: I followed Danny's program to the letter and totally immersed myself in it.
I started seeing results immediately. I hit it hard at the gym, completely
focused and followed a very clean diet, and in about 6 months, I lost 40
pounds and 12% body fat.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Danny-J suggested I do a figure competition to celebrate my achievements.
She had been right about everything so far, so I jumped right in.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: I have a wonderful support system, but a few people were not on board.
However, those relationships were not healthy for me and I am much happier
without them.


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I was surprised with how NICE my fellow competitors were. It's great that so
many people in this business are professional and helpful. I didn't really
encounter many "bitches." And most bodybuilders do not fit the stereotype of
being "meatheads."

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I placed in the top ten in the Max Muscle transformation contest in 2010.
I have also competed in figure: The Nevada State competition in June, 2010
(I did not place) and the Jay Cutler Desert Classic in April 2011 (I placed
4th in Figure Medium).

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Back and glutes.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love doing circuit training and running intervals on the track.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter
it for contest prep?
A: I train for marathons so I normally run 3 days a week, including track
intervals, tempo runs and long runs. I also Cross train (cardio) twice a
week. I lift 3-4 days a week. For contest prep, I run less and Cross train
more. I eat a clean diet most of the time, but allow for one cheat per week.
During competition prep, I eliminate the cheat meal and cut back on the
carbs.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first
time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: More positive. People find inspiration in a true life success story.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment
you are most sick of hearing?
A: That THEY could NEVER do it because of excuse A, B or C.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or
the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That a woman will become too muscular or "manly." Or that they all must be
on steroids.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I love the way I feel after a good workout. I love being the "test subject"
and seeing my body change before my eyes as a result of dedication and hard
work. The hardest part is balancing my fitness routine between my two loves,
competition training and marathon running, which can be counter-productive
to each other. One is anabolic and the other is catabolic.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I'm a huge fan
of the Biggest Loser. The people I admire most are the ones who have had to work the hardest to get there. I also admire trainers Danny-J, Jillian Michaels, and Bob Harper. I also admire Jamie Eason.


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pretty much any Dessert. :-)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Role models are wonderful and a great resource, but I believe that true,
long lasting motivation is not something someone else can give you or you
can "find"(now, where did I put that motivation again?). You have to make it
happen, for yourself, on purpose. Don't passively wait for it to come along.
Take control. You create your own motivation when you stop yourself from
eating garbage when everyone else is or no one else is looking. You create
it when you take no excuses and hit the gym no matter what because champions
don't sleep through their workout. You create it when you truly believe that
you are an athlete and a winner, despite what everyone else says, thinks or
does. I think the biggest problems people have in getting started are in
realizing that someone else isn't going to do it for them and actually
believing that they are worth the effort.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym
with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: Yes, but not nearly enough. We need to work on that. ;-)

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love marathon running, hiking, cycling, and the outdoors.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Korie Maxfield.
A: I always have a full schedule. On my busiest days, I go to work, go to
class, hit the gym, then go home to help my teenager with her homework,
cook, clean up, take care of the dogs, study, etc. On the weekends, I'm
usually training, spending time with my daughter and/or boyfriend, hiking,
traveling or working on home improvements.

Q: Describe Korie Maxfield in five words.
A: Strong, Determined, Focused, Goofy, Crazy.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Following the diet and training are not always "easy" for me. Some days I have to fake it.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I would like to do another competition eventually, but I haven't committed
to a particular one yet. I also have a goal to qualify for the Boston
Marathon so I'll be focusing mostly on my running for now. Ideally, I would
like to alternate between training for marathons and training for
competitions. That way I can accommodate my two loves, excel at them, and
maintain a well rounded level of fitness.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are
they getting in Korie Maxfield the athlete and competitor?
A: I haven't really considered sponsorship. It's something I would need to
learn more about. I can be reached at koriemax@cox.net for further
discussion on this.


Q: Korie, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. I am honored
to have you as a "stablemate", and you are a big inspiration. Any last words
before you go?
A: The pleasure is all mine, Jason. You are a huge inspiration to me as well
and you deserve nothing but the best in life! Thank you so much! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I bet you won't guess what muscle in your body is the muscle that gets rid of joint and back pain, anxiety and excessive fat.

    If this "hidden" highly powerful primal muscle is healthy, you are healthy.

    ReplyDelete