Monday, June 6, 2011

Sarah Maloy Interview


Sarah Maloy approached me about doing a second interview to hype up her title fight on June 17th against Katie Merrill. Would I be interested? Do fish live in the water? Sometimes you see my write that a person is a great representative for the sport, and Sarah is that. But she is also a great representative and role model for women, especially working mothers. She is proof that if you want something bad enough, you can balance working, child raising, and other things and still reach for and grasp your dreams.






Q: First, Sarah I want to thank you for taking the time to do another interview.
A: Thank you for having me!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am a Pro fighter from Oklahoma, a mother of 3, wife, business owner, personal trainer, teacher...you name it, I probably do it, lol!

Q: Where do you train at?
A: BodyTech MMA

Q: You have a title fight for AFO on June 17th against Katie Merrill. What do you know about her?
A: I know she favors the ground game and trains muay thai for her stand up. She was 3-1 as an ammy and this will be her pro debut. It will be my 3rd time to welcome a newby to the pro ranks, and I am always happy to do it.


Q: Would you say this is your biggest fight so far?
A: This fight definitely has the biggest rewards. There is a few things all fighters want and a title is definitely one of them!

Q: How far out from a fight do you train for the specific opponent?
A: I usually like to have 6 weeks, but I am filling in for an injured opponent so I have 3 weeks for this fight.

Q: What would winning this title mean to you?
A: It's always nice to get recognition for the hard work you put in, but I also want this title for my children(blood and students), the women I help, and just to show females out there that work, take care of their family, train and more that it can be done. Keep chasing your dreams and putting your time in girls...it will pay off!

Q: Being a title fight, if it goes five rounds, knowing you are in good shape, do you see the later rounds favoring you more?
A: Absolutely. I love cardio! If you work it hard enough, then all you have to worry about in the cage is doing what you do.

Q: How will this fight end?
A: This questions usually makes you eat your own words later, lol. But I'm gonna call it...spinning superman roundhouse knee off the cage at 4:52 of round 2!


Q: Since the first interview, what do you feel you have most improved on in your game?
A: I try to work hard on all aspects of my game. I learned the hard way what concentrating on your weaknesses and forgetting about your strength gets you. I want to be a well rounded fighter so I can handle my opponent no matter where the fight takes us.

Q: Is their something you still feel needs improvement?
A: I think if u don't have a desire to improve then you need to quit MMA. Everything.

Q: You are also a trainer. Does that in any way positively or negatively affect your own training?
A: Tremendously. Not only am I inspired by the people I train on a daily basis, but I know scientifically what it takes to be ready. If I want to get better at something or stronger, then I go to the gym and get it done.


Q: Whats your normal training schedule like?
A: A little here, a lot there! I co-run 2 businesses with my husband, train my clients, run boot camps, teach my students. I am a mother of 3...needless to say, my kids are gym rats! I have an awesome family and support system. I just get it done :)

Q: Is something like Bellator or Strikforce the Ultimate goal for you?
A: Better believe it! We are always looking at ways to get me closer to that goal.

Q: How far are you do you think from being at that level?
A: I am getting closer everyday. I won't stop getting better until I get there.

Q: Normally I ask the biggest misconception bout female fighters. This time I will ask what is the biggest misconception about Sarah Maloy?
A: I love to get dressed up, put on my heals and go eat sushi! Just because I roll with men, doesn't mean I act like one.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Get ready to be addicted!

Q: OK, y0u get a day off of training. How do you spend it?
A: Playing with my kids...but they love to fight, so we would probably end up at the gym, lol!

Q: Assuming you win this fight, any idea what you want next?
A: I will be fighting back at home on July 23rd for FCF. I don't have an opponent yet, but I am hoping for it to be another title shot.

Q: Anything you want to plug or promote?
A: I want to give a big thank you to all my sponsors who are helping me make it to this title fight. DOM, Bella Boxer, Fight Soap, MMADepot.Net, PigSkins. Also, there are 2 great ladies that help make WMMA so special...Katrina Belcher and Janet Martin, you guys are awesome! Most importantly, I couldn't do any of this without the support of my family and the guidance from my God!


Q: Sarah, again, thanks for taking the time for this, and good luck on the 17th. Any last words before you go?
A: You ROCK Jason Adams! :)))))

1 comment:

  1. Sarah is truly an inspiration to everyone who knows her. Good Luck on your title fight Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete