Friday, September 9, 2011

Michelle Trapp Interview







Q: First, Michelle, I want to thank you for taking the time for this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am a personal trainer here in San Diego. Have lived here almost my whole life. Was born in New Jersey and lived on Long Island New York until I was 2. Then my family moved to San Diego. So if you ask me where I'm from, I'll say New York. If you ask me where I grew up, I'll tell ya San Diego. It's just me, myself and I right now, along with my two adorable girls, Lola and Brooklyn (my French Bulldogs).

Q: Growing up, were you especially athletic? Play any sports or anything?
A: Funny question... And I will answer with a resounding HELL NO!!! LOL!!!! That answer always trips people out. I actually modeled in my 20's and was stick thin. Played sports as a young kid, but my late teens and 20's were spent partying and modeling!!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My ex husband was a Marine and we were stationed in Hawaii at the time. One day I walked into the gym on base... Well, the rest is history.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: I am a very athletic person, even though I never put any of it to good use until recently. LOL! My Dad was a competitive triathlete and ran his last marathon at the age of 63, so I come from pretty good stock. Training came extremely easy to me and I absolutely loved it! Because I was so lean when I started lifting I saw results almost immediately. From there I was hooked.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: When I first started lifting, competing was the furthest thing from my mind. It finally occurred to me after a couple years that with my physique and genetics I could be pretty good in the sport. However, by that time I was "too big" for Figure and "too small" for Bodybuilding. I always told myself when I finally went on stage it would be to win. So basically I was never really competitive in the sport until they came out with the new Women's Physique division. Now it's on!!!!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Of course!! I try to surround myself with people who love and care about me. Those that do had and always will have my back in anything I choose to do.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Picking the biggest national show as my first was definitely an eye opener! There were so many awesome girls it made my head spin. I actually went into that show with no expectations. I just wanted to do the best I could. I finished 2nd in my class. So I guess you could say it exceeded all my expectations!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I did USA's in Las Vegas this past July and took 2nd. Losing by only 1 point... Sucked! LOL!!! And just last weekend I was at North Americans in Cleveland Ohio where I placed 3rd.

Q: What do you feel is your best body part?
A: Hmmm.... I've heard my butt and shoulders.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: LOVE doing shoulders! HATE doing legs!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Off season I train 6 times a week Monday through Saturday splitting up chest, quads, shoulders, arms, back and hams, taking Sunday off. As for cardio, it is the bane of my existence! LOL! I don't really do any off season. My genetics are pretty good and keep me lean. My diet stays pretty clean all year round, it has to. If you put on too much weight in the off season, come diet time trying to drop all that stored up fat is a bitch! During contest prep my training split drops to only 5 times a week so I don't over train. When you start to add in all the cardio and deplete your carbs you really have to treat your body more gently than in the off season.

Q: When people see your physique or hear you compete the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: The common reaction towards my physique is usually positive. I have been blessed with good genetics... What can I say! LOL!!!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I don't get sick of hearing any comment good or bad. I take them all in stride and learn from them. The funniest one I hear most often when I'm out and about is "Do you lift weights?". I usually just smile sweetly and say "No, I was born this way". LOL!


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Biggest misconception... If you are a girl and you have muscle you must be on steroids. So untrue!! You can build a fabulous body through dedicated training and a spot on diet!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Best part of training... What I see in the mirror. The worst part of training... What kind of question is that??? It's the best thing in my life!!

Q: Are there any competitors you are a fan of or admire?
A: I admire anyone with the drive, determination, will and strength to compete in this sport. It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Hell yes!! Pizza and red wine!!!

Q: If someone told you they wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give them?
A: Results don't happen over night! You need to stick with it and persevere through the roadblocks that you will hit during your training. It ain't easy... If it were everyone would have a great body!!

Q: Do you think its becoming more common to see women using the weights as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: YES!! And that is what I love most about this sport. It is always evolving. Women are finally realizing that the weight room isn't so scary and that if you want that rockin' body... Cardio alone ain't gonna cut it!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love spending time with my dogs. You can find me at the dog park almost everyday of the week. And I'm a girl... So hell yes, shopping is an activity I enjoy! LOL!!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Michelle Trapp.
A: A typical day in my life... Wake, eat, train clients, eat, train myself, eat, cardio, eat, walk the dogs, eat... Did I mention eat?? Kinda like groundhog day for me every day! LOL!!

Q: Describe Michelle Trapp in five words.
A: Dedicated, Driven, Fierce, Loyal, Strong!!!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I actually hate sports!! LOL! Watching a football, baseball, basketball game, etc is like pulling teeth for me!

Q: Any set plans for the future as far as competing or anything?
A: I plan on doing Nationals in Miami in November. Gonna try for that Pro Card again. 3rd times a charm, right...

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: My trainer PJ Braun!!!! He is out of Connecticut and one of the best in the industry! I absolutely adore him!! He knows my physique and how to dial it in perfectly every time. Finding a great trainer is a key factor to doing well in this sport. I have found mine and look forward to a long and exciting career with him.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: OF COURSE!!!! Come on guys, I'm ready and waiting... To contact me you can message me on Facebook. If you're legit I'll shoot you my email. Or you can contact me through my trainer PJ Braun.

Q: Michelle, again, thanks for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to thank all my fans and supporters. I won't let you guys down.... I promise!!

4 comments:

  1. Hurrah for the women who do body-building and use weights to be fit. You are an inspiration to all of us. I started in my 70's and with work and diet, I have lost inches and lbs and look much better. Plus I am much stronger and healthier. Thanks to my trainers! Michelle, I think you look great. Thanks for sharing you tips with us. If I were in San Diego I'd want to be among your fitness clients.
    E from Newport, Rhode Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle you look beyond Fantantastic! If you're ever in the Dallas area I would love to have you as a personal trainer....Thanks for all of your wonderful videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her, she is a superwoman !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol at this cunt suggesting shes not on the gear

    ReplyDelete