Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kyrsten Urff Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1 and 4: Muscle Papa John
Photos 2,3 and 5: RX Muscle/ Arno Photography



After overcoming an eating disorder Kyrsten stepped on stage first in Bikini and then most recently an impressive second place finish in figure at the Jax Physique. Still very young, Kyrsten has plenty of time to make the needed improvements to have a long and very successful career.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: All throughout high school I battled an eating disorder and finally my junior year I decided to join a gym. Then I started seeing a nutritionist and therapist and the nutritionist cut all cardio that I was doing out. So I decided that while my sister was at the gym doing her cardio I would make my way around the weight room and do as many sets on whatever machine I could. The addition of of resistance training made me gain more muscle mass and people started complimenting me on my physique more. I started realizing I like the look of muscle and not being skinny and having no definition at all.

Q: What made you decide to try competing?
A: I moved to FSU and I knew a few people who competed at that gym. They started telling me that I had the body for it and should look into it. I started researching competitions and decided that is what I wanna do. Just to give me something to work towards.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show it becomes almost addicting to them, was that the case with you?
A: Yea, definitely. After I did my first show I realized how many opportunities it opens up for you and how many doors open up. I realized how many people you get to meet and how great an opportunity it is.

Q: You are still young, is it hard to pass up on the partying and things people your age are doing to live this lifestyle?
A: Not really. I've never really been a partier. In high school I was busy with sports or studying. When I decided to join a gym, that was my outlet and I had the most fun. I never needed to go out and party to have fun.

Q: You started with bikini and moved to figure, which to me was smart because you come in very hard, was that why you switched or was it something else.
A: Yeah it did. When I came in for bikini the judges told me I was too lean and that I had too many striations. That is what I like, I don't go for the softer look, so I decided to switch to figure. I had to put on more muscle size but I thought it would be better for my goal.

Q: For the switch, how drastically did you change your training?
A: It was pretty drastic. My time in the gym increased, I started eating a lot more. We train a body group every day but we also touch-ups on the parts we need to work on. My quads and hamstrings needed to be worked on as well as my back and shoulders. So not only would I do the body part I need to do, I would have touch-ups for four different parts as well. The training was different and a lot more heavy.

Q: You just took second in your class at the Jax Physique, how happy were you with what you brought to the stage?
A: I was really happy. I was surprised I took second, I wasn't planning on that. Especially since it was my first figure show and I tend to psych myself out looking at how great they look. It was like "this is my first show, I am not planning on placing, just practice my posing". Opening my back has been the hardest part. I was proud of how I did at the show. Now I am thinking I didn't come in dry enough so next time I want to be more dry on stage.

Q: Your sister Sonya also competed, how much easier is it to have someone go through the whole prep with you?
A: It is definitely easier. She did all my Pro Tan, she helped with makeup, we helped each other with our hair, we kept each other on track with depletion and carb up. We decided if we compete we should try and do the same shows together.

Q: Do you get more nervous for yourself or for her on stage?
A: I didn't get to see her really on stage. I was backstage but was peaking through to listen when they announced the winners. I was nervous for her but equally for myself.

Q: Do you know when you want to compete next?
A: The goal is to do a National qualifier in the next few months. I talked to Sarah and think I am taking the next two months off to bulk because I wasn't happy with my delts on stage or my arms. So I am gonna try and bulk up and put on more muscle mass before I do a qualifier. So I am shooting for November.

Q: You kind of answered it but if you were to critique yourself, where do you need the most improvement?
A: Definitely shoulders.

Q: Is fitness modeling something you want to do more of?
A: Yeah, that is definitely something I have always dreamed to be. That is what I want in my future, to be a fitness model.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get any of the stares or attention from people?
A: Yeah! There is definitely, if you look around, people are watching you. At first it is irritating because you are like "why are these people starring at me while I am trying to work out", but then you realize they are not sued to girls training as hard as you. I put in my headphones and don't make eye contact with anyone in the gym.

Q: If you could spend one day training with someone you have never trained with, who would it be?
A: Larissa Reis. She has the physique that I want.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: My sister Sonya, Sarah Long, Shelby Phillips, Lynard Dicks and Cyborg Supplements.

No comments:

Post a Comment