Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Amy Wolf Interview



Photo Credits: Photos 1-4: RX Muscle


I became impressed quickly with Amy Wolf when I saw her photos from the Michigan Sates. For someone in their debut show, she looked incredible and her posing was very good. Amy has a lot of potential and is someone I think will do some big things in the sport.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: I started a few years ago. I started working out in the backyard with a bench and squat rack. I used my brothers weights. it wasn't until last year that I got my first gym membership at the YMCA. That is when I really started putting on more size and really getting into the bodybuilding stuff. Then when I went to college I met my coach C.J. Jackson and he took me under his wing to help with competing. I had been wanting to compete but didn't know how to go about it. He helped me with diets and workouts and has been a big help.

Q: What about competing appealed to you?
A: Just the atmosphere, the people around you, the whole bodybuilding community. I have always been big on that. Everyone supports each other. Competing the first time, the support was there from everyone and it was nice to be a part of it.

Q: Was there anything about the prep process that surprised you?
A: The cardio, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. Those hours a day really started adding up, I dreaded that and wasn't expecting that.

Q: Did your family and friends have any problem with you adding that much muscle and competing?
A: My family is pretty supportive. My friends were never huge on it. There were like "why do you wanna get so big? What's the point?" To this day, my friends still question why I do it. Can't let people affect what you wanna do in life.

Q: Before you went on stage that first time, were you nervous?
A: Oh yeah, I was so nervous. I borrowed my friends suit and backstage one of the beads had snapped off the bottom. My suit was hot glued together. I was so afraid it would snap every time I moved.

Q: You took second and the Michigan State, how happy were you with what you brought to the stage?
A: I was pretty happy. I could have come in a lot leaner but for my first show I was pleased.

Q: I was really impressed with your posing for being so new, did you practice a lot?
A: Oh yeah! I practiced posing for a half hour to an hour every day towards the last four weeks.

Q: When people start out, some don't realize how hard posing is, they think you just go and flex, did you know how hard it would be?
A: No I didn't. Every time my coach would say "nope, tighten up over here" or "hit this pose, turn your body this way." It took a lot of practice to get that stuff down, I wasn't expecting that.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show it becomes addicting, was that the case with you?
A: Oh Yeah, for sure.

Q: Now that you did the first show, looking back on the whole process, what was your favorite part?
A: Probably the workouts and support from my workout partners. They had all been through it before so there was a lot of advice they could pass down to me. Having them there made the process a lot easier and fun.

Q: Do you know when you want to compete next?
A: I am taking time off to add size. I need to add more to my shoulders and widen my back and work on my abs. I am thinking next spring I will do a few shows and hopefully qualify for Jr. Nationals and see where that leads me.

Q: You kind of answered it, but if you could critique yourself, what area do you most need to improve?
A: Definitely my abs.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get the stares and attention from people?
A: Oh yeah! A lot of people will come up to me and say something little "like you got python arms" or "how do you get your legs so big" or crack a joke about something. I brush it off and communicate with everybody and help the people who really need my help. A few weirdos but I don't pay attention to those.

Q: When you are in public are you more of a cover it up and avoid attention person or more proud and showing it off?
A: It depends on where I am coming from and how the weather is. If it is a nice day and I feel like wearing a tank-top and a pair of shorts, I go to the store like that. It gets a lot of stairs though, people aren't a huge fan of my physique.

Q: If you could spend a day training with someone you have never trained with, who would it be?
A: Dana Lin Bailey.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Definitely my coach C.J. Jackson for all the help he has given through the whole process.

1 comment:

  1. Besides the amateur, national level and professional level posing suits Vandella Costumes offers a selection of shoes, jewelry and pageant Womens Bodybuilding Competition Suits.Your suits should be created with your ideas in mind, Womens Bodybuilding Competition Suits and those of designer Vandella Costumes. Vandella Costumes has an outstanding reputation for creating fantastic posing suits.

    ReplyDelete